News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Super Bombastic EK Docs....

I was at the Kassel show yesterday.... walking around... a bit blaze....

Nothing really excited me. Looked at lots of stuff... yawn.....

Long trip for nothing...

But then... I saw an Alpenkorps EK2 doc... From the signature I could see it was a Bavarian Leib Regiment doc, really early, december 1914... not bad condition... but still... EUR250 !

In a really good day I would have considered about EUR125... After a bit of teeth gnashing and realising noone would come down from ERU250 to EUR125 I began to wonder how the guy had come up with the high price? And why was the doc still there?

Then I thought, maybe there is something else in there and I flipped the plastic sheet over... nope, a doc to another guy... So I looked down the slit in the top and saw.."aaah... there is another doc..."

and I slipped my fingers in, and felt around... and pulled it out..... and what did I find???????

A special Leib Regiment document, printed in 1916 and signed "Epp"... he became a ritter in June 1916 so that means this doc is from the first half of 1916.

Soon after the Alpenkorps docs were the standard fancy docs for all units of the alpenkorps, so I dont think these Leib Regt docs were used for very long. I spoke to a couple of the biggest Bavarain dealers there and they had never seen one.

Here is the Alpenkorps doc, done in the last half of the war, but retroactively for the 1914 award...

post-119-059381600 1290947383_thumb.jpg

Chris B actually parted with 250e all at once!!!!!! :speechless1: What did you tell the frau? :whistle:

Well, actually I offered EUR200 and we settled on EUR210... but as far as Bavarian/Alpenkorps goes, its priceless. I would not sell em for double that!

I bought the wife a new branch cutter... to even the score.

Anyone have any idea how he could have gotten a Swedish medal? Or am I simply reading wrong?

Some royal visit in either direction? Medals and orders tended to rain down on those involved. A German receiving a Swedish medal for gallantry (Tapperhet i fält) would be a tall order, but on the other hand, a Swede temporarily serving in a German unit (for example) during WW1 could very well be decorated with a Swedish gallantry medal despite the fact that Sweden were at the time strictly neutral and a non-combattant nation. An Order of the Sword wouldn't require combat service (or at least not involving gallantry), so I think it could be awarded in connection with, let's say, a royal visit.

/Jonas

• 2 years later...

Chris,

pages 409 and 485.

Regards

Glenn

I have a scanned thinner history... and since you posted that have kept my eye out for the "big" one.... all in all A4 size with 770 pages!!

People who knock Ebay really dont know what they are missing.... EUR39 with its maps.... on ZVAB they seem to hover about EUR200

Just arrived today... i am a happy boy ;-)))

Guest Rick Research

:o Oh, make me weep!!!! :love: Such things NEVER get over here!

Is there an award DATE on that last one.. or did they forget in all the artwork? :speechless1: