News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Air Police Warrant Badge

Morning chaps

This came yesterday in amongst a mixed bag i purchased from a guy selling his fathers collection (see her http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46835&st=0 )

It is a US Department of the Air Force Air Police badge.

It is numbered on the front F5309, and maker marked to the rear with a "V" in a circle. On the back it also states that it is "Property of the U.S Government".

Could anyone give me a rough age on it? It has definately seen some sights and has a few scars to prove it, but all in al great condition with a lovely "been there" patination.

Also, any ideas as to value?

Thanks

Dan

post-1812-027763200 1291460375_thumb.jpg

post-1812-063812300 1291460396_thumb.jpg

Edited by FrontlineAntiques

Morning chaps

This came yesterday in amongst a mixed bag i purchased from a guy selling his fathers collection (see her http://gmic.co.uk/in...opic=46835&st=0 )

It is a US Department of the Air Force Air Police badge.

It is numbered on the front F5309, and maker marked to the rear with a "V" in a circle. On the back it also states that it is "Property of the U.S Government".

Could anyone give me a rough age on it? It has definately seen some sights and has a few scars to prove it, but all in al great condition with a lovely "been there" patination.

Also, any ideas as to value?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

Check out this website. It gives a pretty comprehensive history of the career field. http://community-2.webtv.net/Hahn-50thAP-K9/AirPoliceHistory/

As far as value;

If you sell it on eBay they can get pretty steep in price. Air Police on the center scroll especially. I've seen them go up towards $150. If it's an enameled one, which has the center colored, are more scarce and can go anywhere from $150-$250, depending on the bidders. A standard Security Forces scroll badge depending on the era, a dulled finish compared to a recent mirror finish, can easily go for $40-$50, on eBay. A newer badge will have a three prong device attachment on the reverse and the older ones will have a center pinback device.

Hope this helps

Ed

• 2 months later...

You have a very desirable USAF military law enforcement badge. The old shields with the "Air Police" title date back to the 1950's. The title on the badges was changed to

"Security Police" in the 1960s, I believe, to reflect the changing mission to include perimeter defense of air bases in conflict zones in addition to traditional police duties on the air force base. Thye title on the badge was changed again in the 1990's to "Security Forces" for reasons only to be guessed at. If you search the internet, you can find some cool photos of the old 1950's era "Air Police" standing guard with pearl handled revolvers on their gun belts. Something you would NEVER see nowadays........

You have a very desirable USAF military law enforcement badge. The old shields with the "Air Police" title date back to the 1950's. The title on the badges was changed to

"Security Police" in the 1960s, I believe, to reflect the changing mission to include perimeter defense of air bases in conflict zones in addition to traditional police duties on the air force base. Thye title on the badge was changed again in the 1990's to "Security Forces" for reasons only to be guessed at. If you search the internet, you can find some cool photos of the old 1950's era "Air Police" standing guard with pearl handled revolvers on their gun belts. Something you would NEVER see nowadays........

REF #5:

As far as the reference to "pearl handled revolvers", I think we (Strategic Air Command Elite Guard) were the first to wear them. Possibly later the PACAF (Pacific Air Forces Elite Guard) may have. Check out this website and browse the tabs within for more info. Enjoy http://www.saceliteguard.com/

Ed

Edited by speagle

OCPD71 (may we have a first name ?) Welcome to the Forum. I am suspecting that you may be Police - perhaps retired ? The PD seems to give a clue ?

I always think it's great when old posts are brought back to the top. They always seem to get more information added.

Mervyn -

Yes, still active duty law enforcement here in the 'states. Love the forum! Some very good knowledge exchanged here. -Jeffrey

OCPD71 (may we have a first name ?) Welcome to the Forum. I am suspecting that you may be Police - perhaps retired ? The PD seems to give a clue ?

I always think it's great when old posts are brought back to the top. They always seem to get more information added.

• 4 years later...
    • 2 years later...