News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Post your Imperial German Dog Tags

• Replies 391
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Here's one for ya'.  At first glance it looks pretty boring...just the guy's name and birth date.  However, there's a story that comes with this one.  This belonged to my uncle - Julius Ludwig from Stuttgart.  He was in the U.S. when the war broke out, and then went home and joined the air service.  However, by 1915 he decided he wasn't seeing enough action and joined the infantry.  He wound up in the 121st and 120th Reserve Infantry Regt. and his brother, Hans, was also in the 120th RIR.  Their sickly brother, Emil, also served but in some kind of Landsturm outfit with the old vets probably guarding sausage factories or bridges or something along those lines.  Anyhow, Julius and his entire squad (or whatever) were sealed in their bunker in 1917 and their bodies were not recovered until 1932.  This is the dog tag (one of them I suppose), taken off his body.

Uncle Julius.jpg

J.Ludwig.jpg

I'll have to check through Hans' memoirs (fortunately for me in English!) but if I recall correctly he was killed in one of the big mine explosions on Messines Ridge on June 7, 1917.  Hans was on Hill 60 that day and barely survived.  He was seriously wounded and then captured and held prisoner until 1921. 

It came with it when uncle Hans gave it to me just a year or so before he passed away many years ago.  I didn't think to ask at the time but I'm assuming the cord and the tag have been together since the bunker was opened in '32.  He didn't have any details of the discovery and may never have had any but assuming the cord and tag were taken directly off his brother Julius' body would could assume the bunker was never flooded.  Just my guess though.

Edited by 120RIR
    clarified information

• 2 weeks later...

A little departure from MGK soldaten  but thought you all would like to see these Kaiserliche Marine dog tags.  This one 5 cm. wide X 3.5 cm. high.  If my read of German script is correct is says "Titschack / Mar. Ob. Stabsarzt / Kriegslazarett II"  Translated "Titschack // Marine Ober Captain (medical rank) / War Hospital II"

Klm dog tag a1.jpg

Klm dog tag a2.jpg

Edited by Chip

Here is the second.  It is 5.2 cm. wide X 3.7 cm. high.  Front "Kurt Wagenblast" and back "XII.M.A.A.5. / 5.  This guy was part of the 12th Marine Artillery Abteilung, 5th Company.  Note the "800" sliver mark.

Klm dog tag b1.jpg

Klm dog tag b2.jpg

Edited by Chip

Well guys back on 15 June 2014 I posted this photo of my MG dog tag collection case.  Someone (Chris Boonzaier) asked for individual photos.  Almost a year later I am ready to execute but want to know if anyone is still interested in seeing all of them?  I will be posting photos of four e-marks I recently added but they haven't made it into the case.  (I am a bit a a loss to figure out how?).  I guess I will have to go the sardine route of packing to get them in.

E-markes.JPG

Here is the first of four new (old) MG dog tags.  This one is 5.2 cm. X 3.6 cm.  It is from a guy in Feld-Maschinen-Gewehr-Zug 312.  There were 530 Prussian and 38 Bavarian FMGZs.  They were all combined to make the 2nd and 3rd MGKs of infantry regiments. 

emark FMGZ a1.jpg

emark FMGZ a2.jpg

Here is the second.  This guy was originally in Reserve Infantry Regiment 247's 3rd MGK and later was assigned to Infantry Regiment 120's 3rd MGK.  It is a standard m1916 Erkennungsmarke.  It also has the original black colored hat lace made of Tagal.

emark RJR2473MGK a1.jpg

emark RJR2473MGK a2.jpg

Edited by Chip

Here is the 3rd.  This is also a m1916 although is technically the m1917.  This guy was in the 2nd Ersatz MGK of the 14th Armeekorps.  The original black colored hat lace made of Tagal is also present. 

emark EMGK14AK a1.jpg

emark EMGK14AK a2.jpg

Here is the fourth and final for today.  It is the standard m1916 pattern however is is made of zinc plated steel (magnetic).  You can see the areas where the plating has flaked off and rust has appeared.  This Erkennungsmarke is obviously harder to stamp as evidenced by the shallow markings.  This guy as originally in the 3rd Ersatz MGK of 13th Armeekorps and then assigned to Reserve Infantry Regiment 119's 1st MGK,

emark EMGK13AK a1.jpg

emark EMGK13AK a2.jpg

Edited by Jeff Noll

Here is the 3rd.  This is also a m1916 although is technically the m1917.  This guy was in the 2nd Ersatz MGK of the 14th Armeekorps.  The original black colored hat lace made of Tagal is also present. 

​He just made it in , born in 1899....