News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Post your Imperial German Dog Tags

Chip,  Me too!  I found the reference in Peter Meinlschmidt's book on Identity Tags/Disks.  It is on page 43, "In a circular (dated 11 Sept 1917) issued by the Prussian War Ministry to all Clothing Depots it was pointed out that booty stocks, available at Bremen, of black-colored hat lace (made of "Tagal") should also be used as cords for identity disks.  However, its tensile strength was to be tested and only lots with a minimum tensile strength of 10 kilograms would qualify."  Beyond that I have no info.  I recently got two MG dog tags with this cord on them (pictured above).  I also have one tag in my case with this style cord.  I, like you, are used to seeing the braided color cord or the light colored cord with the external lacing on dog tags. 

• Replies 391
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi guys,

interesting topic. Here is my only dogtag...but I think it is a nice and rare one...unfortunately it is broken in the middle.

Finnish Jäger Bataillon 27, located in Lockstedt.

Regards

Mikko

IMG_2428.JPG

black-colored hat lace (made of "Tagal")

​ Jeff,

Wiki says that Tagal is another name for Manila hemp, which was used to make straw hats (and evidently cord too).

Chip

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Another.

plaque13.jpg

Richard Dietsch
    Windischenbernsdorf
    22. 10. 77.
    II. Ers. Abt. Fd. Artl. R. 31. = 2 Ersatz Abteilung Feld Artillerie Regiment 31
    4 Ers. Batt. N° 288 = 4 Ersatz Batterie

Fd. Batt. N. 875 = Feld Batterie N° 875

plaque14.jpg
    Hermann Becker
    Zögerdorf. Königsberg.
    2. E. 45. 3. K. 1654. = 2 Ersatz Bataillon Jnfanterie Regiment 45, 3te Kompanie
    F.R. 6/33  984 = Füsilier Regiment 33, 6 Kompanie

plaque17.jpg

Josef Scheib
    Rechtenbach
    1. Ers. Masch. K. 2. bay. A.K. N. 2101 = 1ste Ersatz Maschinen Gewehr Kompanie 2te bayer Armee Korps

L.M.G. TR. 92. N. 29 = Leichte Maschinen Gewehr Trupp 92

Edited by Minen

Minen,

The variety of these tags is continually surprising to me.

Chip

Hi Chip,

What about this one ?

It looks like a 1915 but...  no (9 x 7 cm)

plaque25.jpg

Josef Loichinger
    Neumartt Öberpfalz
    27. 4. 89.

Fd. Batt. 875. = Feld Batterie 875

Edited by Minen

Thanks Chip does it mean he had something to do with Zeppelins at one point? I don't really know how to read them properly, and once I was told half the tag would be put in a dead soldiers mouth is there any validity in that statement?

Eric

Eric,

I'm just speculating here, but if you have one and a half of a man's tags, I would assume he survived the war. I say that because if one half of the M16 tag stayed with the body and one half was collected by the unit, then there shouldn't be any left. I normally assume that half tags in good, non-dug condition were just broken in half and separated. This old zinc gets really brittle and the perforations are a weak area.

Chip

• 3 months later...

I meant to show this a while ago but forgot, Chris' wanted ad reminded me. I'm assuming the B is for Bavaria?

Is there any way of researching a GR Jaeger? The only way I know of checking what may have happened to him are the Verlustlisten and POW records, but the spelling mistakes in the POW records can make searching there a nightmare no matter which nationality.

Tony

WP_20151130_14_22_27_Pro.jpg

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

I meant to show this a while ago but forgot, Chris' wanted ad reminded me. I'm assuming the B is for Bavaria?

Is there any way of researching a GR Jaeger? The only way I know of checking what may have happened to him are the Verlustlisten and POW records, but the spelling mistakes in the POW records can make searching there a nightmare no matter which nationality.

Tony

WP_20151130_14_22_27_Pro.jpg

Hi Tony!

It's Garde- Reserve Jäger-Bataillon, 2nd Company.  Note the laces. Not bavarian

Edited by The Prussian

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    This is only an average ID disc but a bit special for me, it was found in the back of a draw a couple of days ago and belonged to one of the two brothers in 3 Coy., Jaeger Bn. 7 who were killed on the same day http://gmic.co.uk/topic/66423-a-jaegers-last-cigarettes/

I’ll guess at it belonging to Hans as his brother was wounded and missing whereas Hans’ belongings were forwarded to his next of kin.

disc.jpg

• 2 months later...