News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South Africa 1834-53 + Indian Mutiny Medal Pair

Guest Darrell

Darrell - this has been a most impressive set of research to two important medals. I am always amazed at just how meticulous they were in those days for keeping full records. I expect today a clerk makes a recommendation from the records - but, as can be clearly seen here, there was a board of enquiry under a Field Officer. Dependent on his character reference, was any hopes he had for a job outside of the Service.

The British Army must still have a grading system ? I know the police do - in five categories - but I can't remember what they are. Will try a post on our Police section.

Thankyou Darrell for all of this time consuming background - I'm sure our medal collectors all appreciate the work. Mervyn

Guest Darrell

Thanks Mervyn, yes they were stickers for detail. It's amazing what still available. Almost at the click of the mouse.

• 3 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

As a followup, re: post # 11 ... that literary source was, in fact, the resource called "The South Africa 1853 Medal" by G.R. Everson.

Below are two scans of the section.

The first is the heading for the 43rd Regiment:

post-97-060416200 1293212439_thumb.jpg

Guest Darrell

The second a better scan of where Walby's name is shown. The triangle to the right of his name refer to confirmation of service in the 3rd Kaffir War.

post-97-088354100 1293212479_thumb.jpg