News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

For many years there has been a separate Africa General Service medal, to cover all of the wars that occured so regularly in this part of the World.

One of the bars is KENYA and this covers the Mau Mau uprisings of the 1950/60's. Whilst the number of Europeans killed was fairly low - I think in the low thousands - I don't think exact numbers are known for African dead.

Basically it was an attempt at a secessionist movement to obtain Independence from Britain. Almost certainly Jomo Kenyatta of the largest tribe - the Kikuyo - was behind things and when Independence was given, he became the first President.

The men who formed the Mau Mau were mostly unemployed and were directed by 'faceless' local committees. They were armed mainly with machetes and other local weapons and relied on numbers in overwhelming the white farmers' and their families. They used great brutality and literally hacked their victims to death. They terrorised the local African villages and household staff and killed great numbers - which is why I said we are not sure of numbers killed within the African communities. They would watch the estates and attack when they thought people had relaxed their guard. I understand it was common to take a revolver with you when you had a bath !

Britain sent large numbers of troops to man road blocks and to act as guards in the bigger villages and towns. However, East Africa was fortunate to have a splendid - and loyal , apart from a few incidents, of local Police and Army. The Kings African Rifles were founded in 1902 and consisted of 104 white officers and 4863 men in all units. Additionally, the East African Protectorate included the Somaliland Camel Corps. In 1920 the Protectorate was annexed and became the Crown Colony of Kenya.

There were a total of 6 Regiments in the Kings African Rifles and these were split amongst four territories.

1st and 2nd Battalions were based in Nyasaland (now Malawi)

3rd and 5th Battalions were in Kenya

4th Battalion was in Uganda

6th Battalion was in Tanganyika (now Tanzania)

In the British Army, Rifle Regiments do not carry Regimental or, King's Colours. However, the Colonel petitioned the Crown in 1924 and all 6 Regiments were granted the Honour of both Colours.

The Mau Mau insurrection eventually died away through lack of support from the local populations. However, the infrastructure of Kenya had been damaged - many farm owners leaving for Rhodesia and Sth. Africa. When elections were held, the largest tribe in numbers 'swept in' - as always happens and it has been 'down hill' ever since. The great failure of the Western Governments was in just holding a farewell party and then walking away. So many exColonies would today be in stronger positions if they had been helped through a transitional 10 year period.

These three Kenya Bar AGS medals are two for the KAR - 3rd or, 5th. Bns.in Kenya. And the other one is a Chief Inspector in the Police Reserve.

post-6209-023926100 1291722688_thumb.jpg

from Left : N54202 Pte Ibrahim Ido K.A.R.

Centre: M350 C.I. ® C.J. Tritchard (He was a Police Reservist - Ch.Insp.)

Right : EA 1811 2608 PTE. Abdi Bule K.A.R.

I'm not sure why Bule has a different style for his unit number ? Any comments will be apreciated.

post-6209-067724300 1291723148_thumb.jpgpost-6209-067724300 1291723148_thumb.jpg

This shows the reverse side. Brittania with the wreath of forgiveness and accompanied by the British Lion - the Sun in Splendour in background.

Sorry, I must have pressed twice - can anyone remove - please ?

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

post-6209-067724300 1291723148_thumb.jpgpost-6209-067724300 1291723148_thumb.jpg

This shows the reverse side. Brittania with the wreath of forgiveness and accompanied by the British Lion - the Sun in Splendour in background.

Sorry, I must have pressed twice - can anyone remove - please ?

Mervyn,

Thank you for showing. A most interesting campaign with a lot of small units receiving medals and a relatively inexpensive field for collectors.

As one who is interested in the earlier AGS (up to Somaliland 1920) awarded to Indian troops I have always found it a lovely medal.

The Kenya is the oddball of the AGS being issued over 35 years after the last campaign. The reverse emblem being rather ironic when the sun of empire far from being in splendour was definitely setting (bit like India in the 30's and 40's).

I feel that if somebody where to research the campaign thoroughly there could be an interesting book.

All the best,

Paul

Guest Darrell

These whole series of South Africa Medals have started to grow on me. Starting with the 1853-56 medals through to the QIIR issues.

Interesting picture of the one where the claw has separated slightly from the disc. Anyone that doesn't know how these were made, the claw on these style are connected with three vertical pins as can be seen on the example above.

post-97-080070800 1291743158_thumb.jpg

'Eagle Eye' Darrell strikes again ! I hadn't noticed the claw had lifted. Probably can be pushed back down. The older ones used to have one pin in the middle and a blob of silver solder to hold the claws.

Paul - I agree with you about a good research book - although a number were written about the campaign and the atrocities. They were the forerunner of what was to happen in the Congo in the late 50's. Most of what I know about Kenya is from older people who moved to Sth. Africa. I have been several times to Kenya and Tanzania - but, you do have to be very careful. The only time I have ever been robbed was in Nairobi on a Sunday afternoon. I was walking back to the hotel and this chap came-up and started talking - you get used to this as they like to practise their English. He suddenly produced a knife and demanded my watch. I was so surprised I nearly gave it to him - finally I said if he wanted it he would have to fight me ! He settled for 2x two pound traveller's cheques (that tells you how long ago it was). I reported the incident and a year later the Kenyan Police wrote to say they had arrested a man with the cheques. I offered to return and give evidence if they paid my airfare - they declined....