News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Africa and Italy Star

The ribbon is the opposite way round on my Dad's with the light blue stripe being on the right as one views it. Which is correct?

It should be the dark blue first. The three stripes represent the 3 services serving in Africa.

It could be awarder without a bar, or with on of 3 - North Africa 1942-43, 1st Army and 8th army

It is one of my altime favourite British medals. Dunno why, it just always struck a chord with me :whistle:

The 'Medal Yearbook' published by Token describes the significance of the colours used in the ribbons of WWII service medals. Dark blue, red and light blue represent the navy, army and air force and are usually in that order (i.e senior service to the most junior one). The ribbons are as follows:

39/45 Star - Equal stripes of dark blue, red and light blue representing the three services,

Atlantic Star - Blue, white and green representing the ocean.

Air Crew Europe Star - Pale blue (the sky), with black edges (night flying), with narrow yellow stripes (enemy searchlights).

Africa Star - Pale buff (sand of the desert), with narrow dark blue and light blue stripes with a central broad red one representing the dominant role of the army.

Pacific Star - Dark green (the jungle), with central yellow stripe (the beaches), flanked by narrow dark blue (navy) and light blue (air force), with wider red stripes (army) at the edges.

Burma Star - Three equal bands of dark blue (British forces), red (Commonwealth forces) and dark blue. The dark blue bands each have a central stripe of bright orange (the sun).

Italy Star - Five equal stripes of red, white, green, white and red representing the national colours of Italy.

France and Germany Star - Five equal stripes of blue, white, red, white and blue representing the national colours of the UK, France and the Netherlands.

Defence Medal - Two broad green stripes (the green and pleasant land), with narrow stripes of black (the blackout) and a central wide orange stripe (fire-bombing).

War Medal - Red, white and blue stripes representing the UK.

The MYB states, "The ribbons are believed to have been designed by King George VI personally and have symbolic significance in each case." This probably doesn't apply to the service medals issued by Commonwealth countries.

Regards

Brett