News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon bar to Australian Brig Gen

Hi all, tis is the newest addition to my collection, three ribbon bars to the same man , An Australian Brig Gen D H Compton

He has OBE , 1939-45 star, Pacific Star , 1939-45 Medal , Australia Service Medal , Vietnam Service med .

Does anyone have any info about this guy ?

post-3473-096015000 1291826687_thumb.jpg

Found him ! By a link on this excellent forum I got his name :jumping:

Brigadier David Henry Crompton got OBE(M) 1 january 1967 (vietnam probably)

Now I will see if I can find out something more about him ...

Christer

Edited by christerd

• 11 months later...

Hi Raz0504 ,

The internet is fantastic , it really make the world small. Do you perhaps know what he did during WW II , and I suppose he was in Vietnam in 1960s ?

I think I bought the ribbon bars from Australia through Ebay last year .

And know they are in Sweden on the other side of the globe ;)

Christer

Thanks Raz, its always great to know some about the man behind the medals.

Sometimes we collectors forget that there is a real story behind every one of

the medals and ribbon bars in our collection.

Your friend seems to have had a good life and now a piece of his history will

be conserved in a far away country.

Christer

• 4 months later...

We live in a 'small ' World - that seems to shrink on a continuous basis.

Christer - I think you have the ribbon bar out of order ? I would have thought

OBE ; 39/45 ; Pacific Star ; War Medal ; Australia Service Medal and then Vietnam.

Not sure if the Vietnam award took any precedence ?

I still have his embroidered Brigadier shoulder slides and I think I may have his poly boards with metal rank insignia as well. Does anybody want those? I recall that quite a lot of this man's uniforms were sold in several lots on eBay some time back.

Hi Mervyn, the ribbon bar was originally arranged the way it is in the picture, so perhaps whoever mounted the ribbons didn't get it right. That picture was actually the scan I took of the bar before selling it. - Alf

We live in a 'small ' World - that seems to shrink on a continuous basis.

Christer - I think you have the ribbon bar out of order ? I would have thought

OBE ; 39/45 ; Pacific Star ; War Medal ; Australia Service Medal and then Vietnam.

Not sure if the Vietnam award took any precedence ?

• 2 weeks later...

To all gentlemen!

This man was my father who I adored. It saddens me to think that parts of his uniform were sold on Ebay. At one stage all his prize possessions were put into 2 large green garbage bags, imagine the horror in that, imagine what anyone would feel........I gave my solemn promise to him after that, that I would always keep his memories safe and display them with pride, which I do.

So be glad for what you have managed to gain as no other items will be parted with.

http://www.heavenaddress.com/funeral-notice/T/brig-David-Henry-Crompton/390893/obituary.aspx

Thank you.

Edited by Raz0504

That is very interesting. I am sorry to know that his insignia are now in various places in the world.

Could you tell us how his uniform, ranks, ribbons and other bits ended up on ebay?

To all gentlemen! This man was my father who I adored. It saddens me to think that parts of his uniform were sold on Ebay. At one stage all his prize possessions were put into 2 large green garbage bags, imagine the horror in that, imagine what anyone would feel........I gave my solemn promise to him after that, that I would always keep his memories safe and display them with pride, which I do.

So be glad for what you have managed to gain as no other items will be parted with. http://www.heavenadd...3/obituary.aspx

Thank you.

Could you tell us how some of his insignia ended up on eBay?

• 2 months later...

Razo54. I think you are being a little confrontational here. There would seem to be a family matter involved over

the selling of his uniform items - however, in no way were our members to be aware of this. Perhaps if you respond

some members may be wiling to part with some of the pieces that belonged to your late Father. Mervyn

• 1 year later...

Hi all, tis is the newest addition to my collection, three ribbon bars to the same man , An Australian Brig Gen D H Compton

He has OBE , 1939-45 star, Pacific Star , 1939-45 Medal , Australia Service Medal , Vietnam Service med .

Does anyone have any info about this guy ?

Hi Christerd,

David was my grandfather and the reply you got in 2012 was from my aunt.

These medals have accidentally ended up away from the family, so if you do still have them I'd like to talk to you.

Many Thanks

Can you tell us why these personal items were sold in the first place ?

This is an old post - however, I hope you are succesful in re-uniting some of the pieces. Should you

not get any replies, please contact me - we may be able to make contact on your behalf. Mervyn

Hi Australia ,

Yes I still have the ribbon bars in my collection and I have no problem selling them back to the family

I think its good to reunite medals and other things to the original owner or family.

Just give me half a day to find them

Christer

Hi Australia ,

Yes I still have the ribbon bars in my collection and I have no problem selling them back to the family

I think its good to reunite medals and other things to the original owner or family.

Just give me half a day to find them

Christer

Hi Christer, did you find the ribbon bars?

Many thanks

Yep , found them

one ribbon bar with six awards , one with four + one loose and one more with four + one loose.

Cant really remember what I paid for them in 2010 but is 20 $ including postage to Australia ok ?

just send me your adress and pay through paypal (my email adress ) herrsundtorp@hotmail.com

Christer

• 2 years later...

Hi Christer,

Apologies I moved house & forgot to follow this up. I am still interested in getting my grandfathers awards back into the family. Do you still have them? Happy to pay.

Many thanks

Angelica (itchick0404)

Hi Again ,

Yes they are still with me, 

Price haven' gone up , so 20 Usd including postage and they are yours . Easiest way to pay is by paypal or if you send med cash ?

I will be going to US in the summer so green money is always welcome.

christer