News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wars of Liberation Research Resourses?

aff96

Hello!

I am new to this Forum, but very active on WAF. I am trying to find information on a Prussian (?) Oberstleutnant who served in the Wars of Liberation in 1813/14. I have Googled and have not been able to find any resourses or learned anything about him. All help/direction would be so greatly appreciated. His name is Oberstleutnant von Düring.

Thank you!!

Greg

Greg,

There is one Oberstleutnant von Düring listed in the 1817 Prussian Army List. He is shown as the commander of the 1. Neumärksches Landwehr Regiment. Do you have any additional information or can you place this man in context which might enable me to trace him through the Army lists from 1817 forward or perhaps even back to 1806???

Andy

Greg,

There is one Oberstleutnant von Düring listed in the 1817 Prussian Army List. He is shown as the commander of the 1. Neumärksches Landwehr Regiment. Do you have any additional information or can you place this man in context which might enable me to trace him through the Army lists from 1817 forward or perhaps even back to 1806???

Andy

Hi Andy!

Thank you very much! Sadly, I don't I only have his name and that he earned at least an EK II during the War. Also was given a miniature-portrait of Friedrich Wilhelm II at close to the same time as an award. Any other info that can be sourced?

I so greatly appreciate it!

Greg

Edited by aff96

Greg,

Levin (Hermann Otto) von Düring was born 14.03.1769 and died 23.04.1836.

He joined the army on 09.08.1786, fought in the 1792/95 campaign against the French. In 1806 he was in Regiment Lettow (Nr. 41) and following the capitulation of Hameln he became inactive. Reactivated in Jan 1812 he transferred to the Gendarmerie in Feb 1813. In Aug 1813 he was promoted Major and made a battalion commander in the 1. Neumärkisches Landwehr Regiment. On 02.04.1815 he became commander of that regiment. On 05.06.1818 he became commander of Infantry Regiment 14 and served in that capacity until his retirement on 27.03.1831. He was promoted to colonel on 30.03.1821 When he retired, he was given the "Charakter" as a General Major.

He was awarded the EK II for his actions in the Battle of Dennewitz.

Priesdorf's series on the Prussian Generals (Soldatisches Führertum) contains the biography and image of von Düring I used to provide this short career sketch. If you are interested in the biography and/or image of von Düring, please send me a private message with your e-mail address and I'll be happy to scan and send it to you.

Andy

Greg,

Levin (Hermann Otto) von Düring was born 14.03.1769 and died 23.04.1836.

He joined the army on 09.08.1786, fought in the 1792/95 campaign against the French. In 1806 he was in Regiment Lettow (Nr. 41) and following the capitulation of Hameln he became inactive. Reactivated in Jan 1812 he transferred to the Gendarmerie in Feb 1813. In Aug 1813 he was promoted Major and made a battalion commander in the 1. Neumärkisches Landwehr Regiment. On 02.04.1815 he became commander of that regiment. On 05.06.1818 he became commander of Infantry Regiment 14 and served in that capacity until his retirement on 27.03.1831. He was promoted to colonel on 30.03.1821 When he retired, he was given the "Charakter" as a General Major.

He was awarded the EK II for his actions in the Battle of Dennewitz.

Priesdorf's series on the Prussian Generals (Soldatisches Führertum) contains the biography and image of von Düring I used to provide this short career sketch. If you are interested in the biography and/or image of von Düring, please send me a private message with your e-mail address and I'll be happy to scan and send it to you.

Andy

Hi Andy!

Thank you so very much! I sent you a message with my email address. I so greatly appreciate! You have helped me out a very great deal!!

Best to you!

Greg