News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yes Mike, truly an "oopsie", maybe a little revenge by the author, being "blue"??? However, I find this book easier to read than "The recollections...", as in my opinion, it's more unit based where "The recollections..." are more based on Skinner himself...

Maybe someone on the forum has a suggestion to the "real", and definite, history on Skinner's Horse?

/Jonas

post-2960-091511100 1295319970_thumb.jpg

Another title: 1st Bengal Cavalry

Years and years ago, "BC" [before children] I was lucky enough to own this man's medals. He was photographed - this shot- at the 1995 Jubilee celebrations in London, when he was a Daffadar [sergeant of cavalry] but went on to become Rissaldar Major, the senior Native Officer in an Indian cavarly regiment, the Colonel's right-hand man, a cross between the RSM and the Adjutant and the link between the British Officers and the Indian ORs.

This man was apparently a demon polo player, though in his later years he looks to have weighed a good few stone - hard on the ponies! Also, interestingly enough, he left Mesopotamia in 1917, with his Colonel, from which he returned calling himslef "Alhaji": one who has been to Mecca. Mecca, of course, was well inside the Turkish Empire at that time. I was never able to find out any more than that, but it had 'diplomacy' [thinly veiled espionage] written all over it!

Edited by peter monahan

My investigative instincts point me towards the Hejaz Campaign, where selected Indian Muslim troops served.

Harry

Let me check my old records and collogue with a friend to make sure my middle-aged memory is correct. Don't want to start any wild hares. I'm fairly sure that the chap is Daf. Mangal Singh but will try to confirm that.

Chris - your link to the 2005 post makes for interesting reading. Strange how one porcelain model has turned-up so much information. The tragedy is that you parted with the group - must be worth a lot at today's prices ?

Indeed, but I am hoping the stuff I could buy back then is worth as much.

When I see what the Brit groups I sold off are worth today... I want to cry! But thats what collecting and trading is all about.

Best

Chris

Hi,

this was once mine...

http://gmic.co.uk/in...h=1

According to an extract of the Indian Army List (January 1923) in "the blue book" above, Major V. A. Coaker DSO was listed as second in command of 1st Duke of York's Own Skinner's Horse before appointed CO. Ulsterman's friend, G. C. G. Gray (spelled Grey above, and Gray in the link in Chris's post) are listed as the senior captain and QM, and both of them came from 3rd Skinner's Horse upon amalgamation.

/Jonas

Edited by GRA

Sword of Robert Skinner on which recruits used to swear on enlistment, presented to the Regiment by Colonel James Skinner.

After being handed to a British officer at Partition it was later found in the store at the National Army Museum in London by Lt Col CRD Gray who arranged for its return to the Regiment in India.

Shabash Colonel Gray!

Skinner's Horse Guard of Honour (November 1936) Delhi, showing uniforms of 1st Skinner's Horse (front rank) and 3rd Skinner's Horse (rear rank) on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the founding of the regimental church by Colonel James Skinner CB.

• 4 months later...

Dear all

Please let me introduce myself. My name is Mike Trevor and I run an equestrian group re-creating the officer's of Skinner's Horse in the late Victorian period. As part of this I am always looking for information/items that can assist in my research.

In my ongoing quest to reproduce the full range of Skinner's Horse uniforms of the 1880's a young man's thoughts turn to summer mess dress and undress patrol jackets. I would be grateful if anyone can help me in my research.

Mess Dress

My copy of the 1886 regulations is missing the relevant page(!) however I am pretty certain that the 1901 version shows the way. I am confident that the plain white drill jacket (same cut as the winter one) was worn with a stiff fronted shirt, imperial collar (?) and regimental cummberbund. The 1901 regs state that if a cummberbund is worn then so is a black tie. Given the jacket is the standing collar, hook up at the throat type I'm not sure it would be a bow tie, but maybe a string tie - I would be extremely grateful for any thoughts, guidance or pictures. So far I have drawn a blank.

Patrol Jacket

I have seen a few photos which give me most of the information I need coupled with the dress regulations, but the bengal knot on the sleeve is referred to as traced "as per the plate" - unfortunately, my copy of the regs doesn't have the plates and photos seem to show it is not traced in the same style as the full dress version. Also, I have not managed to track down any pictures of the back, although the dress regs description is fairly good. Any help that can be offered here is also gratefully received. The other question here is what breeches would be worn when riding in this order of dress? I think it could be drab bedford cord, blue with gold stripes or even (according to the regs) white. Most perplexing.....

I am not a militaria collector myself but am always on the look out for Skinner's Horse badges, buckles, shoulder titles, etc. as it greatly aids their recreation if we can access originals. If anyone has items they would be willing to let us copy we woould be extremely grateful and happy to recompense you!

Thanks

Mike Trevor

www.skinnershorse.co.uk

Mike - firstly, welcome to GMIC. The ingenuity of members to recreate the past always amazes me - that you should have chosen Skinner's Horse - famous as they are - is really quite staggering. Well done - we shall all be looking forward now to seeing your group - in uniform and on horseback.

Although they are a famous unit, we did not find out anything too unusual on this post. I think Harry is probably your best bet - give it a few days to see who answers and then I will draw attention to your membership. Please ask any questions - it is quite frightening sometimes the resources that members have available. Mervyn

My thanks Mervyn.

The response we've had to our group (into our 4th year now) both here and in India has staggering. As you say, although Skinner's is such a famous regiment so much knowledge has been lost. In my experience, however, there always tends to be someone who knows!

Regards

Mike

I think I can my my questions easier now as I have had some extremely useful and full details regarding the mess dress issue.

It therefore leaves just the issue of the breeches to be worn with undress patrol jackets when mounted. Accoring to the regulations (which are there to provide a framework to deviat from in Indian Cavalry regiments!) it should be "bedford cord, same shade as the men's pyjamas". This would mean white for Skinner's - does this seem right? Strikes me as a little formal for undress and I seem to recall a photograph of Punjab Cavalry officers in mounted undress wearing drab bedfrod cord breeches. I know that there are key differences between regulations for each Presidency's cavalry but I was hoping that someone here might actually "know".

Thanks again.

Mike