News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Portuguese Victory Medals

Hello Peron, I have several questions to ask you. Why is there a buckle on the service ribbon as well as one on the full medal. I ask because there are many who believe that the buckle is there to just hold the ribbon ends together. I feel the buckle has its own meaning of important, do you know it propose ? Also I see two different size stars on your service ribbon just above the full size medals? Is it correct to say that both sizes correct? Last I, myself, have a medal which has two (2) brass stars on it, what is the a meaning for two stars? Or is a single silver star the only worn on this medal.

To help I am trying a translator program below.

Olá Peron, tenho várias perguntas a perguntar-lhe. Por que há uma fivela na faixa de serviço, bem como uma medalha no total. Eu pergunto porque há muitos que acreditam que a fivela está lá apenas para segurar a fita termina juntos. Eu sinto a fivela tem seu próprio significado de importante, você sabe que propõem? Também vejo duas estrelas de diferentes tamanhos em sua fita serviço um pouco acima do tamanho total de medalhas? É correto dizer que ambos os tamanhos corretos? Durar Eu, eu mesmo, tem uma medalha que tem duas estrelas (2) de latão sobre ela, qual é o significado de uma para duas estrelas? Ou é uma estrela de prata único o único usado em esta medalha.

Thanks Jim M.

• Replies 255
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

swuucn.jpg

29lh11x.jpg

1429bio.jpg

34flcsk.jpg

5k0cif.jpg

22b9sk.jpg

2v1kto6.jpg

As you can see many and diferent are they but only one thing is the same, the use of a buckle...the meaning of wearing it I believe is only decorative.

Your other question about the meaning of the star on the buckle of the VM I thing is because it was awarded to an oficial for regular soldiers there is none...

And your buckle with 2 stars never seen one like it, and I believe it can only be an adaptation...probably from this brazilian one:

http://www.medal-med...d1818657379c6f4

Best regards

P.

Edited by peron

Peron,

Is there anything you could tell me about this medal. Some think it is a reproduction but i do not, Thanks Jim

Hello

the medal it self seems good...but as I sayed before the buckle with those 2 stars thosen fit rigth...never seen one with that kind of buckle...looks like the brazilian one i mencioned

Some believe my medal it is a reproduction because they think the buckle is to tight, but then I noticed yours is just as tight? Jim

Yes... that's because that ribbon is not the original one...the buckle is of portuguese model but the ribbon is of the same colours as would be the original but the dimensions are not (is of a french medal), is a replacement ribbon in this case...

here is a fuller photo

As I see the buckle on your medal...notice that the star on the portuguese VM isn't attached to the buckle it is separate from it yours is not the 2 stars are attach to the buckle...another reason for me to believe that this buckle doesnt belong to this medal...and most probably to the military medal of brazil (?)

Best regards

P.

Boas Vindas Peron, !!!

É sempre bom ter alguém do mesmo idioma. Tenho várias questões para te perguntar sobre as variações da Vic Portuguesa. que ainda são (para mim) bem confusas.

Espero que sempre esteja conosco nesse forúm.

Atenciosamente.

Lambert

------

Welcome Peron,!

I have several questions to ask you about the variations of Portuguese Vic. that are still (for me) and confusing.

I hope to always be with us on this forum.

Regards

Lambert

Edited by lambert

As you can see many and diferent are they but only one thing is the same, the use of a buckle...the meaning of wearing it I believe is only decorative.

Your other question about the meaning of the star on the buckle of the VM I thing is because it was awarded to an oficial for regular soldiers there is none...

And your buckle with 2 stars never seen one like it, and I believe it can only be an adaptation...probably from this brazilian one:

http://www.medal-med...d1818657379c6f4

Best regards

P.

About the Brazilian military medal (Medalha Militar de Serviço , Decreto de 1901 ), mentioned in the response, this star represents 10 years of service, every 10 years increases the degree of the medal:

10 years Bronze , 1 star

20 years Silver, 2 stars

30 years Golden, 3 stars

40 years Gold , 4 stars

50 years Platinum , 5 stars

Hello Peron and others,

Yesterday I have been to the Feira de Ladra in Lisbon. As you said Peron "they don't grow on trees" here. It was a big flee market, but alas, I didn't find a VM. So,, my search for a nice one continues.

Thanks for the tip though,

Regards

Herman

Hello Peron and others,

Yesterday I have been to the Feira de Ladra in Lisbon. As you said Peron "they don't grow on trees" here. It was a big flee market, but alas, I didn't find a VM. So,, my search for a nice one continues.

Thanks for the tip though,

Regards

Herman

I Herman...here is another tip for you...try next Sunday at Belem in front of Mosteiro dos Jerónimos in the central garden, I believe it takes place every 1º Sunday of the month, and there is another in that same day arround Lisbon in Oeiras near the old factory (Fundição de oeiras)...

I got mine at flee market of Algés at the 4º Sunday of the month...

Best regards

P.

Hello Peron.

Read somewhere that, by Decree n-6: 756, July 10, 1920, those who were imprisoned by the enemy but received no summons or an award used the star in the Ribbon. You know something different about the use of the star.

Lambert

Edited by lambert

Hello Peron.

Read somewhere that, by Decree n-6: 756, July 10, 1920, those who were imprisoned by the enemy but received no summons or an award used the star in the Ribbon. You know something different about the use of the star.

Lambert

I do not know much about it...only that teory that I mencioned before...but it makes sense...if you see the above set of medals that I have posted of an Alferes de Infantaria that was on the CEP in France at that time...it has that VM with star, and there is also a medal of distintc services with the letter C buckle...I discover in a magasin of the Time "Ilustração Portugueza" there is a litlle article about my alferes telling that He was responsable of repeling an attack of the enemy in battle...I believe that was the reason for the atribute of that other medal DS buckle letter C....

Hello Peron.

Lambert

I do not know much about it...only that teory that I mencioned before...but it makes sense...if you see the above set of medals that I have posted of an Alferes de Infantaria that was on the CEP in France at that time...it has that VM with star, and there is also a medal of distintc services with the letter C buckle...I discover in a magasin of the Time "Ilustração Portugueza" there is a litlle article about my alferes telling that He was responsable of repeling an attack of the enemy in battle...I believe that was the reason for the atribute of that other medal DS buckle letter C....

Hello Peron.

Lambert

Hello Lambert,

While the original decree indicated that only 'combatants' could wear the star it does stand to reason that if personnel were taken prisoner, that would generally result from combatant action. This may explain why these personnel would also wear the star. The regulations are a bit vague and allow for some discretion and differences in interpretation.

Of course, while regulations state one thing it is not uncommon for soldiers/officers to wear items that do not accord with those same regulations.

Regards,

Rob

Hello Peron and others, Yesterday I have been to the Feira de Ladra in Lisbon. As you said Peron "they don't grow on trees" here. It was a big flee market, but alas, I didn't find a VM. So,, my search for a nice one continues. Thanks for the tip though, Regards Herman

Hello Herman,

There is such an example located on the following web-site:

http://www.medal-medaille.com/product_info.php?cPath=86&products_id=9215&osCsid=e0cf485b060258ebad1818657379c6f4

As has been alluded to the Portugal vic is not an easy item to find in good condition, and even more difficult to locate, with the combatant star.

Have fun in your search.

Regards,

Rob

Let me at this moment pay my tribute to al those brave portuguese soldiers that toke participation on this conflict by introducing to you all this great site with some great pictures of some portuguese fotographers of that time of the preparation, departure, in the field, and armistic of the portuguese trops...

http://historia-dos-tempos.blogspot.pt/2009/05/fotografias-portugal-na-grande-guerra.html

• 1 month later...

I received this information on a website, it says this in the book of Mr. Laslo. unfortunately I do not have a copy (the Book). Can someone please confirm this information?

Produced about 100,000.

Laslo official lists two variants, two unofficial, two reproductions.

The first type, rare, bears the name and year printed on the front JDASILVA MDCCCCXX.

The second type does not.

The unofficial types are inferior, have a smaller diameter and different suspension.

Reproductions of French origin, has the mark of the manufacturer or the words "BRONZE", "Made in France" on the edge.

Regards

lambert

Edited by lambert