News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Golden KVK for Gordon Willliamson

Guest Craig Gottlieb

Guest Craig Gottlieb

John Robinson suggested that I post this on GMIC for comment. Recently, I acquired a Schloss Klessheim grouping from the actual LIVING veteran. Due to the money involved, and the opportunity to document history, I conducted a recorded telephone interview, where we talked about each medal that he brought back. He also provided me written statements for each of the major medals, that were signed by the veteran and included photographs of each medal. One of the best medals in the group was an unissued Golden KVK without Swords, in the original box. The item came up for discussion recently on WAF, and received some mixed reviews. I was hoping that Gordon Williamson could comment about this piece, and the style of the markings. I can make available to him the audio recordings, the original written and signed statement from the veteran, and even the veteran's telephone number (with advance approval of course), so he could verify my story. Here is the thread from WAF:

http://www.wehrmacht...ad.php?t=477293

Edited by Craig Gottlieb

The link will only be of use to GMIC members who are also members on WAF, otherwise like me, they won't see the images.

However, Craig has sent me set of images of the piece in question which is marked 900 20 for Zimmermann. I will add the shots here here in comparison shots alongside an original RK of the KVk by Zimmermann in Silver.

No question in my mind that the Gold example is also a genuine and very rare Zimmermann made piece. There are several die characteristics of Zimmermann RK you can see that match on both pieces ( e.g. the manner in which the "horizontal" top arm of the numeral "3" actually seems to slope very slightly upwards to the left.

post-101-056151900 1293216676_thumb.jpg

Craig asked me to post these images for him. He would like it mentioned that he had to go "low-res" due to file restrictions. The photos are not Craig's, but he can take additional ones after the 1st.

John

post-760-095565500 1293240105_thumb.jpg

Edited by John R

How many of these gold versions were awarded? Are they solid gold or plated?

Paul,

It is not known for sure that anyone actually received the physical award itself but two definite recipients "on paper" are known just before the war ended. The award was in effect a gold plated verion of the silver Cross.

No awards of the Gold version with Swords have yet been established but the award itself did exist. Examples of both with and without Swords Knight's Crosses were liberated from Schloss Klessheim.

Gordon!

Reg. Zimmermann-crosses

What do you think about the cross without swords. Were they made from the ones with swords or from specific w/o swords-dies? With that small amount awarded...easier, cheaper just to remove the swordspart!?

/peter

Hi Peter,

No, they were made from different dies. If they made them from the same dies as the "with" Swords, then they would have ribbed arms for the suspension eye instead of smooth.

Gordon!

Reg. Zimmermann-crosses

What do you think about the cross without swords. Were they made from the ones with swords or from specific w/o swords-dies? With that small amount awarded...easier, cheaper just to remove the swordspart!?

/peter

Guest Craig Gottlieb

Thank you all, for helping to post these. Of interest on this piece is that there is some sort of "frosting" in the core, much like the silver ones. I would say this would be an excellent way to tell the difference between one that was gold-plated by a mischievous collector/dealer, and one that was original. Gordon, can you comment on my "frosting" observation?

I've seen other refinished pieces ( like KM badges) where the "new" Gilding has a frosted appearance so I presume a competent jeweller would be able to recreate this effect. I don't think this in itself would be a determining factor for originality.

Even the normal silver RK without Swords by Zimmermann is excessively rare so I suspect anyone wanting to gild a genuine silver RK to pass it off as a Gold grade would use the much more common Deschler type.

• 3 weeks later...