News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 154
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you have these, as opposed to the excess baggage the WW2 soldiers carried around with them, I often wonder what kind of nasty stuff is caught up in the filter? Green cross, blue cross, yellow cross?.. it must all be in there?. Soak it in water and then put it on a hot plate?. Will you kill yourself? There is none of the minty unused masks that you find in Wehrmacht collections, these seem to all have a certain amount of sweat and grime and , for the want of a better word?.fear, ?. Impregnated in the leather.

I have one too down in the cellar Chris only I'm not 100% sure if it's German or Belgian. I'm leaning towards Belgian because of the colour though.

It still works or did when my son was a few months old but the wife had a moan about me using it to change nappies which was good really, because I didn't have to change them anymore.

Tony

Gotta pic?

He's out of nappies now Chris and I can't find any of the old pictures. :P

I did just take one of the mask though and now I see not only a difference in the colour but the string is held in place differently too.

It's amazing, there were probably more gas masks produced than EKIIs but try finding one.

Tony

Here is one interesting picture. In the WW1 the Bulgarian army was supplied with German gas masks. And here is exactly that kind of can in use. This is an assault group, small groups of heavily armed soldiers, making sudden attacks on the enemy's trenches /one of the main goals was not only destroying a section of the enemy fortifications, but also capturing alive enemies - they were considered a great source for information/

Theodor,

Great photo. I was trying to see something in the photo that indicates that they are Bulgarians. Right off hand, I don't see anything distictively Bulgarian, although the uniforms look different somehow.

You are correct about your can being the early pattern. It is the one that the so called "Gummimaske" (Gasschutzmaske 1915) were issued in. I prefer these earlier examples. I have five of them, including two in the Segeltuchtaschen, one "?bungsmaske", one with the owners name painted on the lid and an Austrian version for the same mask. I also have one that is made from metal and wood, but it is the taller size and I think it goes with the later masks.

Chip