News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 154
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greencross was THE deadly gas of the war, but the masks offered good protection against it. Bluecross was more of an irritant, causing coughing and sneezing, vomiting etc. etc. all things that would force a soldier to remove his mask.

German orders for 17-18 required barrages to mix the two. bluecross would cause the enemy to have to remove the mask, green cross would then kill them...

Here is the can. Looks like it was used as some kind of display or training aid?

Lee,

Do you know why it has gas mask instead of gasmaske written on it?

Tony

Edited by Tony

Hello Tony

The black lettering is typical of US military stenciling. Also the word order is typical of the US military; ?GAS MASK GERMAN? verses the conversational way, German Gas Mask. I have always assumed that this was used as some type of military training aid or display. Just a guess on my part. I got this in the early 1970?s when I was a kid at a local junk shop, so I suppose it could have been stenciled anytime before that.

Regards,

Lee

Hi, I came across a cloth(not leather) gas mask. It is a grayish/green color. "No.12 AGD" imprinted onto the metal base into which the filter goes. The filter is marked "No.5" "?JB" and dated 1918. The filter has a cloth stuffed into it's opening. Mask appears to be unused. Eye lenses are in tact. The can is early (?). No catch with wire in cover. No extra lens in cover. Bottom of can has the soldiers' name and "Arm.Batl., 108/3. Would appreciate any information you can offer. Sorry, no photos at time. Don't know how. Thanks, Ken

Kenneth,

Sounds like you have the M1915 Gasschutzmaske, aka "Gummimaske". The late date on the filter cannister is no big deal, as all the screw-in filters were interchangable and if your mask remained in service it would have had the filter changed from time to time. Otherwise, it could have easily been put on by a collector too.

Armierungs Batl.108/3 was a labor battalion that would have a number of chores, including digging trenches or breastworks, repairing roads, even providing agricultural help. These battalions could have quite a few companies, though the most commonly they had four. The 108th was identified as being on the Western Front in 1917.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Chip, WOW, thanks for the information. I am a somewhat rookie Imperial collector. What source of information did you use to find out about this labor unit? I would like to improve my library. Also, I see that this format is not fitting into this window. Anotdther rookie mistake. How do I fix this? Thanks for your time and patience. Ken

Kenneth,

Get a copy of the translation of Cron's postwar retrospective on the German army in the war. The title is "Imperial German Army 1914-1918, Organization, Structure, Orders-of-Battle". Printed by Helion & Co. in 2002. I got my copy from Barnes and Noble. Unfortunately, the other source I used, "Index to The German Forces in the Field, October 1917" has never been reprinted (to my knowledge). I do think that "The German Forces in the Field" (the companion book) has been reprinted, but the name of the printer escapes me at the moment.

Chip

Edited by Chip

I will try and locate those titles. Has "sources of information" ever been a topic? Perhaps other collectors would have favorite sources they could share. Thanks Chip.

Kenneth,

You might want to start here, which will keep you busy for a few long winter evenings.

Failing that, just ask, as there are a few members of this forum who will be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

David

Kenneth,

You might want to start here, which will keep you busy for a few long winter evenings.

Failing that, just ask, as there are a few members of this forum who will be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

David

Ye gads, no wonder I can't find anything about my collection. I do not have one title listed in all these lists. I really am a rookie. Oh well, better get busy and do some shopping. Maybe a course in the German language would be helpful. Ken

• 1 month later...

Here's my only mask. with Brandy the Luftbeagle standing guard.

IPB Image

another view without the observer.

IPB Image

The can.

IPB Image

Click for full size. :ninja:

Edited by Tom Y

When you have these, as opposed to the excess baggage the WW2 soldiers carried around with them, I often wonder what kind of nasty stuff is caught up in the filter? Green cross, blue cross, yellow cross?.. it must all be in there?. Soak it in water and then put it on a hot plate?. Will you kill yourself? There is none of the minty unused masks that you find in Wehrmacht collections, these seem to all have a certain amount of sweat and grime and , for the want of a better word?.fear, ?. Impregnated in the leather.

Hallo Guys, :beer: just like to make a comment with regards the German WW2 Masks, the filters I believe contained Asbestos make sure the kids are not playing with them :o even better for re-enactors is the modern Bundswehr filter, it fits the WW2 mask perfectly and looks similar to the original.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

• 5 weeks later...

Wow now I really have to have one. I been eye balling a repro for my mostly repro German kit for reenacting. maybe I will have to send payment now. I think it would look great in display with my helmets.

As for what's in the old masks, reneactors have been known to put them on and get a slight mustard gas exposure. Ouch! When using them in the current trenches I hear they hollow out the filters.

Mike

Speaking of gas masks, here is one of my favorites. It really is not a "mask", but rather is worn in conjuction with a pair of goggles. Made by Draeger, but I have never seen any regulations about or descriptions of this apparatus. The height of the carrying can is 24.5cm tall (9 5/8") and has a diameter of 10cm (4"). The device hangs up-side-down in the can, that is, the mouthpiece and hose end are dropped in first, with the filter canister going in last. The canister is suspended by a lip on the inside of the can that keeps it from going further inside. This, in effect, allows the hose to dangle free inside and keeps it from being crushed. It has the standard three loops for the shoulder sling and belt support strap. The inside is lined in corrugated cardboard (sides and bottom). There is no compartment in the lid. I have a picture of one being worn. Anyone know who wore these? I will show the photo later if I get a correct answer or if no one replys.

Chip

• 4 weeks later...

Jens,

Fortunately, I already have two of these! At today's prices, I could not afford to buy one. The last set like this that sold on ebay brought much less, approximately $720.00, but that was a few years ago. Inflation runs rampant with high demand items of militaria.

Chip