News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I just picked up a mask from Great War Militaria. Original mask with original can but can was repainted for use in reenacting.

Added: I tried to edit one of the other post to add a photo so I'd have two up but it seems to count both posts as one so far as posting photos go. Sorry for the double post and one photo.

Mike

Edited by Hun Helmet

• Replies 154
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Out of curiosity, roughly what would one of the Imperial German gasmasks, complete with cannister run nowadays? I have a WWII which I was told was likely issued to the Luftschutz and another WWII mask that I picked up a gazillion years ago for $10 in a surplus store in Clearwater Florida. It's nazi marked but was so dirty sitting on their shelf the only thing I knew was it was German and looked to be WWII. They didn't have the original cannister... just a West German which I got for $5 if I remember correctly.

But I'm curious about these Imperial issues. Our local history museum has one brought back by one of our local vets. And a friend of mine up here had one a few years ago that she sold before we moved up... a complete set. She said it was just like the one in the museum. She hated to tell me but I figure one will turn up eventually and it's nothing I'm in a hurry for. In fact my son is more into gas masks than I am. They're a nice addition to general field gear but nothing I'm actively seeking at the moment.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Daniel,

Sure, I have two of the Segeltuchtasche, one the M1915s (converted to M1916) and a M1916. Over the years I have had about five of them, even one in redbrown canvas. I wrote the first article printed about them, which appeared in Kaiserzeit in 1982 and was reprinted in the Phoenix Exchange a few years later. The article is now visible on Johan Somers' "Before 1919" website. Of course, much more information has been uncovered since then and is available in Kraus's 1999 books "Die Feldgraue Uniformierung des deutschen Heeres 1907-1918" (though he did pinch at least one bit of information from my article). I also have a Atemeinsatztasche M17. ;)

Chip

Daniel,

Sure, I have two of the Segeltuchtasche, one the M1915s (converted to M1916) and a M1916. Over the years I have had about five of them, even one in redbrown canvas. I wrote the first article printed about them, which appeared in Kaiserzeit in 1982 and was reprinted in the Phoenix Exchange a few years later. The article is now visible on Johan Somers' "Before 1919" website. Of course, much more information has been uncovered since then and is available in Kraus's 1999 books "Die Feldgraue Uniformierung des deutschen Heeres 1907-1918" (though he did pinch at least one bit of information from my article). I also have a Atemeinsatztasche M17. ;)

Chip

Hi Chip,

Many thanks on the GM info. Quick question though... whatever happened to the Kaiserzeit, not to mention the Imperial German Military Collectors Association? I was a member... had received the KZ and then suddenly it was like they dropped off the face of the planet.

Do they still exist and if so how do I get back in? I've even still got my original membership card and number info.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Hauptmann,

I was on the staff of Kaiserzeit from 1972 unitl it died. It was a great run and about the only place you could get any information on imperial German militaria at the time. The downfall was the last printer, who seemed to decide that he would just keep the subscription money and not send anything out. He had the gall to ask people to send more money after getting only one issue for the previous years $15.00 payment. Finally, everyone got tired of waiting and sending money and just threw in the towel. Kaiserzeit lasted for over ten years, which is a long time for a publication that was put together with articles by unpaid enthusiasts. I still have a complete set of the journal.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Hauptmann,

I was on the staff of Kaiserzeit from 1972 unitl it died. I was a great run and about the only place you could get any information on imperial German militaria at the time. The downfall was the last printer, who seemed to decide that he would just keep the subscription money and not send anything out. He had the gall to ask people to send more money after getting only one issue for the previous years $15.00 payment. Finally, everyone got tired of waiting and sending money and just threw in the towel. Kaiserzeit lasted for over ten years, which is a long time for a publication that was put together with articles by unpaid enthusiasts. I still have a complete set of the journal.

Chip

Hi Chip,

I'm very sorry to hear all that. I only wish I'd known as my wife and I were in the publishing field and worked with printers all the time. Of course that was a bit before the desktop publishing of the last fifteen or so years with it getting better and easier all the time. But had we been able to do anything we would have been happy to.

But I do remember, now that you mention it, the endless waiting for more issues for my membership fee only to have them not come. The few that did were extremely interesting and I still have them somewhere in all my stuff, although I could not lay my hands on them right off the bat. It's a shame as I really thought it was a terrific idea at the time.

I also used to get Der Gauleiter... both when it was an auction and sellers and then when it went to auctions only. Finally it sold to someone, don't know who, and it then also seemed to peter out. The one thing I deeply regret in all that time is not being able to get the book of cartoons of "Orders and medals that should have been but weren't". Some of them were sooooo funny and I would have loved a complete collection.

Sigh... the good old days, gone forever.

Definitely good times while they lasted though and I guess nothing lasts forever. :beer:

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :cheers:

Dan

Daniel,

Is it maker marked or dated inside? Both of mine are size "2"s. I have seen a "3". but never a "1", except in period photos.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Whoops. Both of us adding something at the same time. Looks like yours is the earlier model that had the 1916 changes added. One of mine is like that, with the "D" rings added and the third compartment divider removed.

Chip

Daniel,

Nice set. My early one has the spare filter compartment on the other end and two additional button holes added (by the owner) to the sides of the flap to better hold it down.

Chip

Chip,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes the bag is marked, but it is weak. Here you go. When I got the bag, I had a choice between this one and a nice heavy canvas red ochre 1916. I liked that this one was earlier (and a little less expensive because it was cut)

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Daniel,

What a luxury to have a choice! I got both of my bags back in the 1980's when you didn't have to take a second mortgage on your house to get one! The red/brown bag that I had was the lighter weight material, like these earlier gray examples.

Too bad the markings are not legible on your piece, but this is pretty typical. Many were never marked at all. The earlier one that I have has a decent maker mark and is clearly dated 1916.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Chip,

Is the Atemeinsatztasche M17, the single filter carrier? I know nothing of the German names for these. If so, that is next up. :jumping: This was originally dark grey, but has faded out in several areas. Not the greatest condition, but these are very hard to find. I have only seen two for sale including this one in over 20 years.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy