News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 1 year later...

Mervyn. This very interesting blog, which was recently brought to my attention, holds considerable interest for me for several reasons. I spend all my spare time researching the military history of Rhodesia in particular and South Africa in general. Last year I co-authored a very comprehensive and detailed roll of honour covering the Rhodesian Bush War, and am currently working on a 2nd edition. I am on the research team for the Rhodesia Regiment project and am also busy with a book on Internal Affairs. I write a monthly column in the Rhodesia Services Association international Newsletter Contact!Contact! I am a member of the Rhodesian Light Infantry Assoc. and administrator of the Facebook page The Fallen. More recently I have been commissioned to author a Book of Remembrance for the Rhodesian African Rifles Regt Assoc, UK (of which I am an Honorary Member). This will coincide with the Rhodesia Native Regt/RAR Memorial which is going to be erected at the National Memorial Arboretum here in England. I mentioned to Brigadier Dave Heppenstall and General Mike Shute that it would appear that the RNR King's Colours have come to light. They are convinced that this is in fact the RNR colours. On behalf of the association, I would like to ask if you would consider discussing the possibility of the colours being repatriated to the association for safe-keeping with the rest of the two regiment's sacred items at the Rifles Club in London. The original RAR colours are housed in this very appropriate and safe location. As an association, we are extremely excited about this matter, and it is our sincere wish that you will consider our approach favourably, these colours representing a very powerful part of our military legacy.Please feel free to check up on me and the work I do. My e-mail address is in the public domain: g.van-tonder@sky.com Gerry.

Gerry - thankyou for your email regarding the Rhodesian Memorials.

I would like to offer you an opportunity to show some of this history on GMIC. With over 8000 members and a strong following on

Rhodesia - this would be an excellent chance to not only recruit some dedicated new members - but, also to explain exactly how

it is all being set-up and also where visitors can view.

We would give you a 'pinned' position and you could extend the information over a period of time. Please give this some serious

thought .

With regard to the King's Colour - having now found out so much of it's history - and having checked with a number of top auction

houses, I now realise just how rare it is for such an item to be available. I am told that it is probably over 50 years since such a

Collour was sold. I will give the matter further thought and will IM you in due course. Mervyn

• 8 months later...

Mervyn,

My sincere apologies for missing your post of 17 January, but my life has been very hectic this year.

I will be more than happy to share some of my Rhodesian military research with your members, but would like a bit of guidance as it is a HUGE field! Please suggest what you believe may be of interest.

With regard to the King's Colour, I must also apologise if I missed your IM, but I've had a look in the 'pot' but it says there are no messages - assuming I am looking in the right place. Please feel free to e-mail me on g.van-tonder@sky.com if you so wish. I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Kind regards, Gerry

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know where Mervyn might be today or who might now be in possession of this Colour. General Shute of the Rhodesian African Rifles Association is most desirious of locating this Colour and having it properly laid up next to the RAR Colours at The Rifles Club in London.

• 4 years later...

I am the Treasurer of the Rhodesian African Rifles Regimental Association. The RAR - formed in 1940 - was the successor regiment to the Rhodesia Native Regiment, which was disbanded after the end of WW1. The RAR Queen's Colour includes the battle honour of the RNR "East Africa 1916-1918". (See the image.)

The Association recently built an award-winning memorial to the RNR and RAR at the NMA in Staffordshire. (See the image.)

I understand Mervyn is no longer with us, but would anyone know the current whereabouts of the RNR Colour?

Kind regards

RAR Colours 2.JPG

mem3.jpg

Welcome to the GMIC, Alan.  Yes, Mervyn is sadly missed, both for his expertise and his big heart and welcoming ways.

I have no information on the colour, but then I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic, I suspect.  However, the tentacles of the GMIC do seem to get into some very obscure places and I am hopeful that one of our members may have information for you.  Well done for taking on the task of preserving the history of a proud regiment.

Peter

• 3 months later...