News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Freikorps Hussar Officer (?) to identify

Bonjour,

I just picked up a photo of a (?) Freikorps Cavalry Officer in Hussar uniform.

That's much later than what I'm used to, so I'd really appreciate comments / tentative identification, both of the unit and man.

Photo was taken by sudio E.Meyer in Hannover :

CABMeyerHannover.jpg

The picture is signed on the back, in or with reference to March 1922 - and of course in that mind-boggling script :

CABMeyerHannoverBack.jpg

Close-up on the cap :

CABMeyerHannoverCap.jpg

And on the awards : mysterious (to me) ribbon bar, Silesian Eagle, and a Cross :

CABMeyerHannoverEagle.jpg

Cross looks MUCH like the "Freikorps von Loewenfeld Steckkreuz 1.Klasse" :

CABMeyerHannoverLoewenfeld.jpg

I understand that while being much "naval", they had some cavalry along ?

Comments and information welcome !

Cheers,

Jerome

Beautiful portrait!

"That mind-boggling script" reads:

Meiner lieben guten Else zum ewigen Andenken an Deinen Martin

Hannover im März 1822

The pencil script below the signature reads M. ...hardt

Martin dedicated the portrait to his lovely and good Else (female acquaintance) to remember him by.

Edited by Naxos

Jerome, he also carries a pre-war Imperial M89 Kavallerie Parade Degen for a Hussar enlisted man.

Can you scan a close-up of the sword handle?

Here is one from my collection - I would be interested to know if the crown was removed on your Hussar's Degen

post-1062-019226000 1293742083_thumb.jpg

Edited by Naxos

It appears your man is in the Reichswehr Reiter-Regiment 13 of the newly formed (1921) 3. Kavallerie-Division der Reichswehr.

In the Reichswehr Kavallerie history it says: "... after the Reiter-Regimenter of the Reichswehr were formed in 1920/21 and slowly settled in their new garrisons, the officers and men wore for a long time their old imperial uniforms of their former units.

:cheers:

Edited by Naxos

Super - many thanks Naxos ! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

A little browsing (with that capital information) allowed me to find out that the 4th squadron of this Reichswehr regiment maintained the traditions of the Braunschweiger Husaren (HR17).

Totenkopf apart, that could be the case here ?

I also spotted an example of their cap (photo from a seller's website - you will recognize it though :whistle: ) !

49220.jpgCABMeyerHannoverCap.jpg

So I'm MUCH further in understanding that photo - thanks again !

Jérôme

Edited by Djedj

• 1 year later...

Interesting. I have an enlisted mans Hussar unifrom from the 7th Regiment, and was always puzzled by the fact that it had loops on the chest for a 2 place bar. It makes more sense now that this uniform was worn after the war by him in this or a similar unit. Any indication of what unit this tunic may have served with in 1921-22?

• 2 weeks later...