News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 60
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

There are not really that many patterns, but there was a host of materials used and various combinations exist. One of my favorites is the artillery canteen with shoulder strap (not to be confused with the Labeflasche).

Chip

Interesting, is the left one WW1, too?

Here are some of mine /yeas the right one is Austrian/. I thought the only difference is the matherial, whether it is steel or aluminum, but seems there are more shapes? Those pieces of old equipment are addictive :P

Theodor,

All of your canteens are from the period. Most German steel canteens have a soldered-on manufacturer's name plate with date. It is usually on the shoulder of the canteen up near the neck. Of course, the aluminum Austrian canteens were almost always dated too.

Chip

• 3 months later...

Chris,

The artillery M17 canteen was the standard canteen, but with a shoulder strap. It had a harness. Read about it in the two volume set of Kraus from 1999.

Chip

I saw a canteentoday, it had a small leather cross strop sewn onto the felt, like the WW2 ones, to keep the vertical leather strap in place. Is this kosher? I have no reason to think not, but was not 100% sure.

Best

Chris

Chris,

This one looks to be from the imperial era, but that leather strip is not one that I am familiar with. My guess is that it is from the postwar period, when plenty of leather was available again. The final patterns of the wartime canteens had little to no leather on them.

Chip

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

I am going WW1 equipement crazy although I did not want any initially, just documents...

How many kinds of these are there?

Hi,

I just won a canteen on ebay. To the best of my research and photo comparison I believe I won a WWI conteen. Wnated to ask your opinion on it. Can you take a look?

Here is the link,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N%3AIT&rd=1

I tried to get the seller to send me additional photos but he never did. This canteen seems to look just like the green enamel one on the right side in your first post.

Mike

Mike,

The canteen looks fine. When you get it, there is a good chance that you will find some marking on it. These were often marked either with an ink stamp or a brazed-on piece of metal with the manufacturer's name and a date.

Chip

Mike,

The canteen looks fine. When you get it, there is a good chance that you will find some marking on it. These were often marked either with an ink stamp or a brazed-on piece of metal with the manufacturer's name and a date.

Chip

Thanks. The current canteen I have now has no markings and the spout is a little different. I think maybe an earlier design.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the canteen and the only marking I can see is covered by rust so that the only letter I see is the letter N. w/ period.

Here is a photo of it below dressed in reproduction cover, strap and cork assembly. The metal parts in the strap are originals :) The canteen is in very fine condition as for the inside. Only two spots of rust. No dents and no leeks. I'd be fine drinking out of it. This one will be used for re enacting.

Mike

Here is the canteen I got from great war militaria that I tried to clean out the inside for use but gave up. It's only good for display.

Does anyone know what type it is? And what would it be worth? Since it's now surplus I will sell it soon. Canteen is original, beat up with dents but holds water. Cork and broken strap are original. Cover I don't know.

Edited by Hun Helmet

Hun Helmet,

The cover looks as if it might have had a button for attaching the stopper strap. If that is the case, the cover is for the 1917 pattern canteen. The canteen itself was unchanged from the M1915. Only the cover was altered in order to use less leather than the 1915 pattern which had a longer strap.

Chip

Chip,

Are you saying the canteen is not German then? As for the cover it had a button on it. I removed it for use on my repro cover. Come to think, on looking at the cover close I am sure it's a repro cause of the snaps, they are too new looking but I got a feeling the button is a period button.

Mike

Mike,

No, I am not saying that at all. The canteen is definitely German. It is hard to tell about the cover with such a photo. The fact that it was used by a reenactor gives it that worn look. Most things like this can only be judged by a first-hand inspection.

Chip

• 3 months later...