News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

At the La Gleize show this weekend there were collectors with the theory that the new Tchech haul are actually papiergarn covers for Glass bottles, and they are being sold with metal bottles.

A couple of my thoughts to that...

1) I spoke to one of the sources at La Gleize this weekend, and saw some pics of the hoard... I have little doubt these were found under the circumstances he said... I cant "Know"... but I think...

2) Even if the Covers were made with glass bottles in mind.... if in the stores there were these covers, and no glass bottles... would they not have used them?

3) My pet theory, seeing the huge amount of different bottles kinds of metal bottles in the covers... some looking used... that these may actually have been in the local supply/Maintenance stores... exchanging damaged linen and cord covers for new Paper cloth ones. We all have cloth covered bottles that could really have used a new cover... so why not?

By belief is that these may have been made for Glass bottles, but from the information I saw at La Gleize, I think it certain that metal bottles were put in them back in 1918 for shortage of material reasons, or as replacement covers.

We are talking about a relatively large find... It is very unlikely that someone went around buying bottles, removing the covers they had, then putting on new ones...

• Replies 60
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's where #45 came from the covers are marked Emmanuel Kahn Karlsruhe 1918 btw they also made stahlhelm covers not many people know that still alive today.(Hoss Files) :lol:

Chris, mine is they are surplus from the '18 offensives when they issued front troops with two canteens they must have been literally thousands laying around with rotten covers same thing happened with the gas filter 'disc' many moons ago a dealer friend bought a bunch of them, unissued.

Edited by Hoss

Eric,

I am fine thanks as I hope you are too!

I see what your thinking, the felt could be a WW2 medical or Gebirgs depending on its size, I just spotted the leather loops for the straps at the sides? I don't think WW1 bottles had integral cups so the re-enforcment at the neck is for a WW2 version?

Jock :)

Chris,

Just from what I have seen of these Kahn canteens, the covers seem not to fit. It is possible that the papercloth material shrank when exposed to the weather in the field and therefore they made them a bit larger than the canteen to allow for this shrinkage.

The glass bottles were obviously larger than their metal counterparts, so perhaps the covers were made of a size to accommodate either canteen. Regardless, it appears that they have been together since the war, so it is not a case of two similar, but unrelated, items being "married".

Some of these canteens have already shown up on Emig's site for 160 Euro. I think I saw three and all were sold.

Chip

Eric,

I believe your canteen with the web harness was refitted at some point. The original leather shoulder sling was replaced with the web harness. The side retaining straps for the original sling are still there. The cover is of the type issued on the M07 aluminum Labeflasche and carried over to the steel version of the M07. I have not found anything to indicate when these web harnesses were first put into use, but I would guess that it would have been before the end of 1915. There may be several factors as to why they are not more abundant today, but the main one might be the very short production window of the steel M07 models. Whatever the reason, we know the web harnesses were not carried over to the new M15 canteens or subsequent models.

Chip