News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swedish order of the sword

It's probably for helping some Swedish citizen or Swedish interest. The order was officially a long service award for Swedish officers, and bravery award in times of war (in our case Napoleonic days). But could be awarded to helpful foreign military personal. If I remember correctly explorer Sven Hedin handed out some orders to Germans when he was touring the eastern front. I'm sure other groups of front-line tourists needed help too.

/Kim

One of my guys seems to have been awarded the Swedish order of the Sword...

Does anyone know how this could happen? Could neutral countries give out medals to armies fighting a war?

Thanks

Chris

When a foreign military, naval or air attaché left Sweden after completing his turn of duty here (usually approx 4 years), he was awarded the Order of the Swords. This order was also given to high persons visiting Sweden or serving interests common to Swedish, for example Finnish Field Marshal Mannerheim who received the order from visiting Prince Gustaf Adolf.

• 3 weeks later...
    • 6 years later...