News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German WWI Campaign crosses

Good day gentlemen.

I am interested in German pre-WWI, WWI, post WWI and WWII spanges and medals.

One of my favorit post-WWI medals are the so-called Campaign crosses: Verdun, Champagne, Somme and Argonnen.

Some fellow collectors find these not so interesting while they are unifficial medals that could be bought and were not "earned" on the battlefield, etcetera.

But I just like the design, very much in the Jugendstil, very attractive according to me.

I have a few crosses of each in my collection, also in in two different designs.

The last few weeks I have seen on Ebay Germany a few of these medals being offered. (today 3 of these are offered). Normally I would place bids on these, but the medals in question don't look allright to me. The lettertype is not so fine, rather thick, the behind of the medals look smooth, the lining of the medals isn't so fine and a few other things. Maybe they are ok, I am not an expert, that is why I ask your opinion here and maybe warn someone. The price of these medals have evolved into a range of 150 euro - 225 euro each, so maybe it is worth copying these. I don't know.

Here are the pictures of the three crosses currently offered on ebay de.

I quickly made a picture of 4 examples from y own collection which are undoubtedly originals by the way.

These you can see in the following post.

Greetings from Bruges, Flanders,

Poulton Palmer

p.s. Poulton is visiting Hill 60, Hill 62 and the Bluff this thursday and is intending to find something (metaldetecting perhaps, don't know yet). It is a pity that I dont't have a GMIC friend who can join me!!!

210283:4.jpg]post-10423-094594600 1294074177_thumb.jppost-10423-027110800 1294074175_thumb.jppost-10423-024116200 1294074172_thumb.jppost-10423-090163400 1294074170_thumb.jp

post-10423-020295400 1294074179_thumb.jp

post-10423-057924700 1294074180_thumb.jp

The Lubeck cross he had on ebay at the same time as the fake crosses certainly to me appeared original, ie red feet on the eagle, good enamel work and telling the flattened suspension ring. I might not be right of course, and the other suspect items would put me off buying anything at all. What do you think?

post-907-066723000 1295221885_thumb.jpg

The Lubeck cross he had on ebay at the same time as the fake crosses certainly to me appeared original, ie red feet on the eagle, good enamel work and telling the flattened suspension ring. I might not be right of course, and the other suspect items would put me off buying anything at all. What do you think?

Unfortunately his Luebeck cross is as bad as the rest of his items...Raritaetensammlerclub, Munich654321, Orehilas321, centra etc...same guy...same crap.

Edited by avadski

Unfortunately his Luebeck cross is as bad as the rest of his items...Raritaetensammlerclub, Munich654321, Orehilas321, centra etc...same guy...same crap.

What are the bad points on this Lubeck, I am keen to learn. If it's a reproduction it fooled me, very worrying.

A clear difference in quality. Those names mentioned above deal mainly in fakes and I would not buy the one real item they might have because the funds just get put back into buying fakes to screw collectors.

Edited by dond

• 2 years later...

Hello

I woul'd like to know if there are two different types of Argonenn and Champagne crosses.

Ex. Type 1: The extrmes of the cross have a curve ending

Type 2: The extreme of the cross have sharp endings

Thank you very much

Esteban