News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Single Parade Mounted Medals

• Replies 65
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear CJS,

The War Merit Medal (the round one) was awarded to civilians for meritorious service (it is rumored that even some Jewish people received the award for their work on making counterfit money for the war effort). The War Merit Cross without swords was awarded to soldiers for meritorious achievement in a non combatant role. The War Merit Cross with swords was awarded to soldiers who for meritorious achievement (bravery or good leadership/staff work) in a combat role.

The War Merit crosses on the ribbons are the 2nd class version of the award and are in bronze. The silver pinback versions are pinback and are for a higher degree of meritorious service. The 2nd class medals were, I believe, the most awarded medals in the Third Reich era.

There was also a Knights Cross of the Wart Merit Cross (worn at the throat) which came in 3 classes (Bronze silver and gold with and w/ swords) for the highest achievements to the Third Reich. They were only awarded a few hundred times

Hope this helps.

Gary B

Sir

I may have a War Merit Medal w/swords. What were they awarded for, for what and how did someone earn this award.

Thank you

CJS