News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

freiwilligen brigade reinhardt

i am pleased by the opportunity to share this item!

it's a sleeve badge for the volunteer brigade/rgt. reinhardt, which was initially formed in order to combat the spartacist uprising in berlin and subsequently fought the poles in upper silesia.

there were approx. 9600 members at the onset, and they had a somewhat interesting history.

this badge is large (55mm), made of gilded tombak with an enamel paint (baked on?) in the center which is very similar to the paint used on ek cores dating from this period. there are 8 tiny thread holes around the edges.

i have observed two different types of this badge--this style, and one which is entirely of blackened tombak. not sure what the two types signify...one could be for enlisted and the other for officers, or the one i have could be a later version which evolved into a tradition badge when the unit was merged to form reichswehr brigade 15.

post-4736-024335100 1295117145_thumb.jpg

Eric,

This badge was also worn by the Stahlhelm.

"Abzeichen des Regiments Reinhardt im Verbande des Stahlhelms" is the exact description,

see Deutsche Uniform- und Rangabzeichen, Militair-Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 1987

Regards

Gilles

i am pleased by the opportunity to share this item!

it's a sleeve badge for the volunteer brigade/rgt. reinhardt, which was initially formed in order to combat the spartacist uprising in berlin and subsequently fought the poles in upper silesia.

there were approx. 9600 members at the onset, and they had a somewhat interesting history.

this badge is large (55mm), made of gilded tombak with an enamel paint (baked on?) in the center which is very similar to the paint used on ek cores dating from this period. there are 8 tiny thread holes around the edges.

i have observed two different types of this badge--this style, and one which is entirely of blackened tombak. not sure what the two types signify...one could be for enlisted and the other for officers, or the one i have could be a later version which evolved into a tradition badge when the unit was merged to form reichswehr brigade 15.

post-4736-024335100 1295117145_thumb.jpg

In wear

thanks, hardy!

my initial impression is that the example in your foto is the blackened version. the wreath doesn't seem to be gilded

hard to tell Eric, but note the holes on the side are exactly like on yours.

... does the artillery trade badge underneath denote light OR heavy artillery, and is it from regiment 15/abteilung 15?

not sure, Chip might know the answer

The wearer is not Reichswehr, since he is still wearing both, the Prussian and the Imperial, Kokarden on his cap.

... shoulder strap (same exploding bomb than on the sleeve)

Edited by Naxos