News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EARLY MET. POLICE UNIFORM

We seem to have been quiet on our Police Forum for a while - I am particularly sorry to see Brian's 'Special Constabulary' sub-forum lapsing. There is not a lot of available ref. material for Specials and with 10,000 posts and so much information it has become a valuable resource for anyone interested in the subject.

I started in July 2010 (Goodness ! How time flies by.) a few posts on old uniforms that I have in my collection. I held back on the Dress Uniform for a senior officer of the Metropolitan Police in case Nick needed it for the proposed new Police Forum - however, I think he is under such pressure that it is on the 'back burner' for the present.

The Metropolitan Police - being the first civilian Police Force in the World - have always been a 'law unto themselves' with regard to uniforms, customs and officer ranks. The term Commissioner was first used by Sir Robert Peel - when as Home Secretary - he supervised their establishment. He appointed two men as joint commissioners. Eventually this was changed to one man and under him was a Deputy Commissioner. Later 4 Assistant Commissioners were set-up to supervise different sections of the Force. One day I will do a short article on all of the different rank structures that have existed over the last 180 years - meanwhile, I will just say that in modern terms the Commissioner is the equivalent of a full general. the Deputy Comm. - a Lieutenant Gen. and the Asst. Comms. - Major Generals. (The Met. - Police and civilians - is nearly 60,000 - so he commands the equivalent of 1/3 rd. of the British Army ! God help us - could we even defend ourselves against Iceland ?)

This full dress uniform and horse cloak is for an Asst. Comm. - the last man who wore it retired in about 1970/80 and gave it as a gift to his 'dresser' - the term used for the retired police officers who act as servants for the very senior ranks. I think his name may have been Vine - but I have had it for a long time. A full uniform for a senior officer is a very expensive item and they were handed down - not discarded. I think this one was given to the dresser as they were being discontinued. I can see styles and details in the uniform, that probably take it back to pre-1920. But, if I can't remember his name I don't suppose we will ever know !

Asst. Comms. wore a Bi-corne hat with swan's feathers . For this rank they are quite short - longer for the Comm. The tunic has 'Austrian' frogging and you will note that his badge of rank is crossed tipstaffs in a wreath. This is now for a Commander and the Asst. Comm.a star above the wreath.

The trousers have a band of embroidered silk along their outer sides. The horse cloak spreads out to cover the rear (withers) of the horse. It is red silk lined and is very heavy. Remember that he would have worn a silver belt - carried a sword and the horse blanket was embroidered with his rank and the Coat-of-arms. Rather dull compared with military uniforms - never-the-less it is an impressive outfit. Rare these days to be so complete.

Somehow I missed this post the first time around but I'm happy I saw it this time.

Great uniform Mervyn.

Re: Specials section, I do have some items to post with the hope of kick-starting the section up once again.

I'll see what I can do later today.

Regards

Brian

G'day Merv,

Very similar to the uniforms that were worn by commissioned officers of the Queensland Police. This is a photo of Commissioner William Cahil, who was Commisioner of Police from 1905-1916. Note the badges of rank; at this time the Commisioner wore the equivalent rank of Lieutenant Colonel, as the Force increased in size the rank badges progressed too.

Chris

Hi - Chris. Great to hear from you - you're experiences must have been horrific in the floods and we were all very concerned. When you have time -please write a short account for the Lounge. With the volume of news these days , even the most important events are quickly submerged. (Sorry, that was an unintended pun !)

The picture shows an almost identcal picture to the Met. example - probably a standard pattern for many of the old Colonies. The rank badges for a smaller Force show thought had been put-in - is there still a Commissioner for the Queensland Police ? I don't think the Met. wore a cross belt - rather a silver gilt belt with sword suspenders.