News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Crete Photo Album from 1897 inc. Seaforth Highlanders

Alec - another series of exceptional old photographs. The European powers were there to try and save lives - but, what a savage and inhospitable place. Amazing the difference 114 years can make - package tourists wouldn't have wanted this old version ....

I am sure all of the pictures are of great interest to an historian - clothes,weapons, foods etc.. However, there are four that I would like to make comment-on.

No.19 Firing the salute. Surely they would have been safer firing directly ahead ?

No.14 More seriously, this is interesting in that it shows senior naval officers still wearing frock coats. The caps would have been

of the pattern with a narrower crown - pity the sun has caught the white cover. Also, see how high the medal ribbons bars

are being worn.

No.23 Regimental march past. Note the 4 Pioneers in front of the Colonel on horseback. Two are carrying axes and two - spades.

No.25 The salute by naval ships - presumably from different Navies ? 1897 still had the old pre-Dreadnought battleships in

action - most are two funnel ships, with early type destroyers in front. The bigger ships behind could be cruisers. This

really is going back in time.

Alex

Many thanks for posting these outstanding images.

Two companies of the Border Regiment (which I was fortunate enough to serve in before it disappeared) were deployed on the international force in Crete in 1897, so I will pass the images on to the regimental museum in Carlisle.

Harry