News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraq Bring Backs

greg.hays

Hi all, just starting to go through a lot of things I picked up in Iraq and I figured I'd share some the more interesting things. First up are some medals. These were mounted for the recipient on a nice piece of black velvet and placed in an embossed presentation case. Unfortunately the case has suffered serious damage in shipping and I'm currently attempting to restore it.

• Replies 92
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Next up is some branch insignia. Again unless otherwise stated these all came directly from former Iraqi military. I had a chance to meet a number of former military as they were employed by KBR and helped organize a lot of KBR security.

I just had a look at your site, absolutely top notch. All the medals are identified except the one with the Orange and White ribbon. The design is that of the Nut-Thurath 17 Tamuz/ 17 July Revolution 1968. What do you think. Also each of the medals is maker marked I'll try to get a good scan. The story (and you know how that goes) is that this was put together for the family of an older veteran years ago. The man died and the son who was in Sadaam's Army kept it for himself. He worked for KBR and I traded him some of my stuff for some of his military stuff. How they all have incorrect ribbons is now a mystery.

Interesting medals, especially interesting in that most are on incorrect (fantasy) ribbons.

Well worn AK-47 bayonet with unit stamping on the leather. I learned this year from a translator who was in the Iraqi Army that stamping on the leather indicates the piece was issued. If you don't see it then the item was likely confiscated froma depoty before being issued to the soldier.

Well worn AK-47 bayonet with unit stamping on the leather. I learned this year from a translator who was in the Iraqi Army that stamping on the leather indicates the piece was issued. If you don't see it then the item was likely confiscated froma depoty before being issued to the soldier.

Looks like your Iraqi collection is realy growing fast, nice medal group Greg...are you going back for a third tour ?

I am, frankly, amazed at the number of "bring-back" medals that are on fantasy ribbons. Of the ones shown in Greg's first post, only one is correctly ribboned (top row, #2, the Nut Qami al-Isyian fi al-Shimal / Medal for Crushing the Northern Rebellion).

It is not clear, however, what two of them are. Could I see a detailed scan of: top row, #1, and second row, #3, please. Thanks!

Top row:

1- ???

2- Nut Qami al-Isyian fi al-Shimal / Medal for Crushing the Northern Rebellion - RIBBON CORRECT!!!

3- Nut al-Taawin / Medal of Cooperation, 1967-73, 2nd (?) class

4- Nut Herb Filistin 1948-49 / Medal for the Palestine War, 1948-49

5- Iraqi Army Golden Jubilee, 1921-1971, 3rd (?) class

Second row:

1- Nut al-Salam / Medal for Peace, 1970, 3rd (?) class

2- Nut al-Khidmat al-Awal / General Service Medal, 1959

3- ???

4- Nut Thurath 17 Tamuz / Medal for the 14 July Revolution, 1958

5- Nut al-Inqath / Rescue Medal, 1954

Thanks Mike, no third tour for me I ETS in April :beer: . I'll post more as soon as it's scanned.

ahhhhh...the start of a whole new adventure ..A CIVILIAN :beer:

the promotion offers, maybe cash bonuses and promises should be starting soon .. :speechless1:

We're not exactly talking about Oxford or Harvard graduates here ...the Hadji's don't know the difference themselves and could care less if the ribbon matches the medal. All they want to do is sell it. The way I look at it is ...even if the item was a knock off (like the Saddam money they've been printing to sell) it is still a Vet bring back ..not something bought from Ebay and made in China. Many times I've had items right from the WW2 Veterans that had been "embellished" ..Army tunics with SS armbands added ..a Navy tunic with an SS cufftitle sewn above the elbow ..my latest was an EK with a Mothers Cross ribbon ..I never turned anything decent down because of the wrong ribbon or add-ons :blush:

Maybe you can find and match the ribbons at a later date .

Hey Akmed ..are you trying to rip me off?? Everyone knows that the Order of the Golden Turban has a purple ribbon with the rare Saddam Mustache Bar !!! :angry: what are you trying to pull ??

Edited by Mike

Some shoulder patches, the bottom one I am pretty sure is from an armor unit. Top two I have no clue yet.

Top is military, but not clear what it says. Something about "____ military discipline"?

Middle is police, but possibly misspelled. "Police Officers' Command" I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Dan, I am just now starting to get some confirmation on some of these and the top is A war college staff patch and the other a Police Service patch.

Sorry it took so long Ed but here are the scans you wanted. I think this one is a WWII victory medal?

Also I have an update on the branch insignia I posted in post #2.

Top left to right: Aviation branch, Armor branch

Bottom left to right: Ordance branch, Engineer branch, ?

Now for post #3:

Top left to right: ?, Infantry branch, Military Intelligence branch

• 2 weeks later...

Update to post #2: the last insignia on the bottom right is for the SSO, Sadaam's security organization. I have a friend in Balad who was former military and he is giving me info as he can. Keep your fingers crossed he may be sending me a SSO Colonels uniform...I hope...man do I hope.

Hi all, well my units containers have finally arrived and I am being reunited with the rest of what I brought home with me. First is a small group of items from a regular Army soldier. Nothing flashy here this set shows how bad off a regular Joe was in Iraq. Helmet has no liner, and yes its the one he used, cap and pants are old Chocolate chip pattern, bayo is unit marked on th eleather and Imanaged to get one AK-47 mag as well. So all but the sweater and boots which he was still using everyday. No worries guys he got plenty in trade :beer: .

Here is a well used helmet, this one is green with the older webbing style, which ironically is better quality then the newer issue. Inside also sports a leather sweat liner much like our American ones, and is named to the soldier and unit marked on the inside.