News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British wear of foreign awards ?

Hi ,

I just wanted to know what the regulations are on the wear of foreign awards alongside British on their medal bars ( current not WW2,1 ) . I know a mate who served in the first Gulf war was told he couldn't wear the kuwait and saudi awards he was given but i,m sure i,ve seen a soldier wearing an American bronze star alongside his British gongs ?

Cheers

Grant

They have to be approved and have permission from the crown to wear. Usually, permission is given for decorations, while permission for campaign awards isn't. Those approved are usually (but not always) published in the London Gazette and can be searched online. This gets very controversial, however, and in recent years has gotten wrapped up in the whole "well, I served, don't I deserve a medal (or six)" trend.

So what "foreign" service or campaign medals have been authorized (or authorised) for wear?

Off the top of my head, the ones that come to mind are:

Turkish Crimean War Medal

Khedive's Star

Khedive's Sudan Medal

UN Korea Medal

The various NATO Medals (Former Yugoslavia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Non-Article 5)

UN Cyprus Medal

other UN Medals ?