News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need your opinion about 2 German medal bars

Do they match up to the battles of the recipient that both bars came from the same soldier? If they do it would be sad to see them sold separately from each other :unsure:

Lorenzo

they are too common to be "fakes".

I agree that that they are both good - however the above statement doesnt ring true every time. More and more common items are being faked everyday now, and you just need to take a trip on ebay to see how many fakes of really commin items there are.

I have been stung too many times now to take even the most general or common medal, badge or bar at face value - it always pays to take a second look of ask for advice

Dan

I agree that that they are both good - however the above statement doesnt ring true every time. More and more common items are being faked everyday now, and you just need to take a trip on ebay to see how many fakes of really commin items there are.

I have been stung too many times now to take even the most general or common medal, badge or bar at face value - it always pays to take a second look of ask for advice

Dan

I totally agree with Dan on this... he beat me to saying just that. When it comes to TR I'm just about afraid to make a call unless it's a piece I've owned or at least handled many examples and know it well enough to speak with some authority. I too felt these bars were okay but wanted to let others more in the know jump in. But it's so true... I've seen fakes of the Russian Front medal, West Wall medal... even the War Merit medal and back in the day when I started in TR those were like the lowest of low... you could pick them up for less than dirt. Alot of this stuff is put out for reenactors as well in order that they don't have to risk wearing original items out in the field which I totally understand. But one definitely has to be careful. Never hesitate to come on and ask as it's always better to get several opinions on a piece before you jump than find out bad news afterwards.

Dan cheers.gif

they are too common to be "fakes".

This is not true. There are known fake examples of the Hindenburg Cross out there. Every one of these medals are faked, and some of them quite well.

These bars are nice originals. I do not think that they are re-ribboned.

These bars definitely belong to two different people(due to the way they are mounted), although it would be possible for one person to have all of these medals.

• 4 weeks later...

i'm still collecting money to obtain the next medal, last thing i do is trade some indonesian star with a set of grandcross from paraguay,,

i don't have a plan about what i'll buy next, when i find a nice item with a good price, why not buy? :)

kapten_windu,

Nice set to start with on German awards. This is the best way to gain knowledge on German medal bars. Buy a few of the more commonly seen combinations and you will gain enough knowledge to assit you when you want to buy some of the rarer medal bars. It is great to see all of the assistance that you have received from other forum members. Indicative of the way things are done on the GMIC. Good collecting in the future.

Regards,

Gordon