News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Remnants of Saddam Hussein’s Artillery Pieces

Guest IMHF

Remnants of Saddam Hussein's Artillery Pieces

Saddam Hussein's Military was equipped with tons of Artillery and Anti Aircraft pieces most of them were used during the Iraq Iran war. What happened to them, I took some photos of some of the pieces I found that were scattered all over our outposts? If you have any images of some of the Artillery pieces you may have ran into during your tours in Iraq please post them here with a location and a brief description.

Thank you so much for viewing.

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

• Replies 115
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will look and see what I have Lorenzo. :D Scott.

By the way, did you mean to say "remnants" in the title?

Scott

How you doing my brother, yea I should have proof read it before I posted it. I only used the spell check on MS Word and it changes it for me during spell check. I fixed it on the forum and thank you my editor you are always a great help.

Lorenzo

Here you go, an Iraqi self propelled gun that was located near MSR Tampa in 2003.

2933695080105252184S600x600Q85.jpg

Scott

This is a very nice side image of a GCT 155mm SPG this thing had a range of up to 29,000 meters. It had a 4 man crew which could fire 2-3 rounds per minute. I drove up Route Tampa many times and seen tons of Saddam Hussein’s Armor destroyed by the 2003 Invasion.

Lorenzo

Not really artillery, but here are a couple of helicopters being hauled away from Baghdad International Airport in 2003. Notice the Republican Guard triangle on the one on the right. Scott.

2435269540105252184S600x600Q85.jpg

Scott

This is a very nice pair of BO-105 Attack helicopters these things were part of a Hunter Killer team what a waste now they are just scrap.

Lorenzo

How about some "light" artillery. We had to haul these out to the eod guys for destruction. What a shame :( Scott.

2425327020105252184S600x600Q85.jpg

Scott

Did any of these have the silver metal plates that was engraved made in Iraq? I hope that is not your Kevlar that they are about to haul away!

Lorenzo

Intersection staged Iraqi Anti Aircraft Gun armored shield, I am wondering who might have painted the Insignia on this AA Gun.

Lorenzo

Just like most captured military pieces in museums a display plate is always added to tell a brief story about the piece. Well that is exactly what they did with this Gun here in Tikrit, Iraq. I just wish I had taken a better image of the display plate for all of us to be able to view.

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

This insignia is from the Tennessee National Guard. Scott.

Scott

Thank you for the information I always wondered who might have painted it on there. It kind of reminds me of the Africa Corps and that they might have participated in the Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign. :rolleyes:

Lorenzo

When I was in the Marines back in the Desert Storm Era, I saw our HMVEES with the Afrika Palm iwth the Eagle' Globe, and Anchor where the swastika would have been. I thought it was brazen but cool.

When I was in the Marines back in the Desert Storm Era, I saw our HMVEES with the Afrika Palm iwth the Eagle' Globe, and Anchor where the swastika would have been. I thought it was brazen but cool.

Paul

How are you doing thank you for the reply on the trend it is good to hear from you from time to time. I was wondering if you could post an image of the Insignia you are speaking of.

Thank you for viewing

Lorenzo

Great pics guys! Thanks so much for sharing. Please keep em' coming if you've got more! jumping.gifjumping.gif

I did wonder... are they bringing any back to the Proving Grounds, etc., like they used to in past wars? unsure.gif Would be nice to see some of these trophies come back over here.

Dan cheers.gif

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the nice words, I can't speak for all installations but I know that Ft. Benning GA has several artillery and armor pieces from Desert Storm, as does Ft. Riley KS. My unit brought home an anti aircraft gun for the armory after Desert Storm. During OIF we were told we could get one piece per battalion. The problem in my unit was we were from 5 different states... So I don't know if the BN HQ got anything or not. Thanks again and I will see if I can find more pics to share. Scott.

Great pics guys! Thanks so much for sharing. Please keep em' coming if you've got more! jumping.gifjumping.gif

I did wonder... are they bringing any back to the Proving Grounds, etc., like they used to in past wars? unsure.gif Would be nice to see some of these trophies come back over here.

Dan cheers.gif

Dan

I have a few images of some Iraqi military vehicles that were at Fort Hood, TX. I am trying to find them on my terabyte sized external harddrive as soon as I find them I will post them for you to view. They were captured during the 1991 Gulf War and brought back as war trophies for the units.

Lorenzo

Here are some images of a ZSU 23-4 Air Defense armored vehicle these things were used to close the gaps and provide cover for the Iraqi troops to advance the lines. They had a long range burst of fire to shread anything it hits in pieces.

Lorenzo

There is a huge red triangle painted on the front of this beast, I bet it was touched up many times in Fort Hood to keep it looking bright thru the years.

The insignia is that of the Iraqi Republican Guard.

Lorenzo