News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Remnants of Saddam Hussein’s Artillery Pieces

Guest IMHF

• Replies 115
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly Lorenzo!

The T-34 was a Soviet medium tank produced from 1940 to 1958. Although its armour and armament were surpassed by later tanks of the era, it has been often credited as the most effective, efficient and influential design of World War II.

First produced at the KhPZ factory in Kharkov (Kharkiv, Ukraine), it was the mainstay of Soviet armoured forces throughout World War II, and widely exported afterward.

It was the most-produced tank of the war, and the second most-produced tank of all time, after its successor, the T-54/55 series.

In 1996, T-34 variants were still in service in at least twenty-seven countries.

The T-34 was developed from the BT series of fast tanks and was intended to replace both the BT-5 and BT-7 tanks and the T-26 infantry tank in service.

At its introduction, it was the tank with the best balanced attributes of firepower, mobility, protection and ruggedness, although initially its battlefield effectiveness suffered from the unsatisfactory ergonomic layout of its crew compartment, scarcity of radios, and poor tactical employment. The two-man turret-crew arrangement required the commander to aim and fire the gun, an arrangement common to most Soviet tanks of the day; this proved to be inferior to three-man (commander, gunner, and loader) turret crews of German Panzer III and Panzer IV tanks.

The design and construction of the tank were continuously refined during the war to enhance effectiveness and decrease costs, allowing steadily greater numbers of T-34s to be fielded. In early 1944, the improved T-34-85 was introduced, with a more powerful 85 mm gun and a three-man turret design.

By the war's end in 1945, the versatile and cost-effective T-34 had replaced many light and heavy tanks in service, and accounted for the majority of Soviet tank production. Its evolutionary development led directly to the T-54/55 series of tanks, built until 1981 and still operational as of 2010 and which itself led to the T-62, T-72, and T-90 tanks, which, along with several Chinese tanks based on the T-55, form the backbone of much of the world's armies even today.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Here is an image I took on the move of an Iraqi Republican Guard Armored Base in North Iraq. You can see another T-34/85 on display outside the base.

Lorenzo

Here is an image I took on the move of an Iraqi Republican Guard Armored Base in North Iraq. You can see another T-34/85 on display outside the base.

Lorenzo

Lorenzo,

If I recall, this base is very close to you at Camp Speicher. We were told that this was the Iraqi Armor School and it was located right across the road from an old refueling point/logistics area that was part of Camp Speicher in 2003. I have some very similar pictures of this gate somewhere, the problem is they are not digital... Scott.

Thank you for sharing these awesome photos. I really like the ZSU-23

Paul

I am glad this thread has brought interest to you, the ZSU 23-4 is a beast I would love to hear the sound of its guns fire just as long as it is not directed towards me.

Lorenzo

Lorenzo,

If I recall, this base is very close to you at Camp Speicher. We were told that this was the Iraqi Armor School and it was located right across the road from an old refueling point/logistics area that was part of Camp Speicher in 2003. I have some very similar pictures of this gate somewhere, the problem is they are not digital... Scott.

Scott

Thank you for the information, would love to see the images you took of the Armor School. I took this image in 2003, when we were on patrol up to Mosel. We must have passed it heading north on MSR TAMPA from Samarra to Tikrit.

Lorenzo

Scott

Thank you for the information, would love to see the images you took of the Armor School. I took this image in 2003, when we were on patrol up to Mosel. We must have passed it heading north on MSR TAMPA from Samarra to Tikrit.

Lorenzo

It's about two hours south of Mosul if I recall. I am sure many things have changed since 2003 but I think you are nearly right across the road from this place. If you have to out out on the MSR, try to get an updated look. Scott.

It's about two hours south of Mosul if I recall. I am sure many things have changed since 2003 but I think you are nearly right across the road from this place. If you have to out out on the MSR, try to get an updated look. Scott.

I hope I get a chance, I am in the Air Cav part of a Blues Platoon so any pictures I can take outside the wire is in the air.:banger:

Lorenzo

Here are some pictures of destroyed Iraqi BMP’s I took these images in 2003 on Route Tampa. Sorry for all the fuzziness in the pixels I was on the move in my M1A1 Abrams Tank when I took these in 2003. These BMP’s were all over the sides of the roads along with Tons of Saddam Hussein’s Tank Corps Armor.

Image# 6

Lorenzo

By looking at the gun tube you can see that this is a possible T-62, I took this Image in 2003 while on the move in my Tank.

Lorenzo

By looking at the gun tube you can see that this is a possible T-62, I took this Image in 2003 while on the move in my Tank.

Lorenzo

The white sign says that there is a clinic near by that cuts the foreskin off the young male children.

Lorenzo

Hello everyone who views this thread, I am posting now some images of a little graveyard of some of Saddam Hussein’s Military equipment. This grave is in Kirkuk, Iraq in the CAV COUNTRY which is now occupied by 1-6th CAV.

Thank you for Viewing.

Lorenzo

This rust bucket here is a ZU 23-2 it has two 23mm auto cannons. I am not sure how many of these the Iraqis had in their arsenal, the Iraqis not only used this as an anti aircraft gun they also used this piece as a direct fire weapon. It was fired directly at troops and light armor vehicles; it had a 2.5 kilometer range which mulled down anything in its way.

Lorenzo

Here in this graveyard is a ZPU 1 this piece is armed with the 14.5mm gun; other models could have up to four 14.5mm guns. It took 4 Iraqi soldiers to man this gun for full operation of 1200 rounds with a max range of 8000 meters.

Lorenzo

This piece here looks similar I am not sure what it is, if you have any information to help identify this piece of used Iraqi equipment please post it here.

Thank you

Lorenzo