News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

With ownership of just one sporran - for the band of the Witwatersand Rifles in Johannesburg - I thought this could be a good subject for people to add to ? I bet Leigh will have some good photographic refs. ? If members take the trouble to post, this could make an interesting thread. Over to you................

p.s. there are only five entries on sporrans on our index.)

Reverse - I've been wearing this one to the Feast of the Haggis. In all modesty, no one here can match it. I've sensed a little jealousy. Heh, heh!

Look at that heavy-duty hardware on the back.

Great subject, I'd wondered about a thread like this in the past but don't actually possess a sporran & don't know a lot about them.

A thread on The Argyll & Sutherland Highlander's Sporran. I don't know if they've carried over their kilt & sporran distinctions into "The Royal Regiment of Scotland" now they're the junior battalion of that regiment, I think that the whole regiment has adopted the Government tartan - the "Black Watch" tartan for their badge & hackle backings & I think the whole regiment wears it now for kilts & trews?

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/28369-the-badger-head-sporran-of-the-argyll-sutherland-highlanders/page__p__268064__hl__argyll__fromsearch__1#entry268064

Leigh - I don't know how you manage to always have so many great ref. photos and cards. Surely though , some of our Scottish members must have sporrans they could add ?

Hugh, that one from 1880 is just magnificent - must be worth a lot. I can just imagine the looks you get - it's called - 'one up-manship' - and good for you !

Leigh - I don't know how you manage to always have so many great ref. photos and cards. Surely though , some of our Scottish members must have sporrans they could add ?

Hugh, that one from 1880 is just magnificent - must be worth a lot. I can just imagine the looks you get - it's called - 'one up-manship' - and good for you !

Can't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't outrageous. I got it in Inverness from a 2nd Battalion veteran who told me stories about being called out in aid of the civil power in Singapore toward the end of the Emergency. (I was living in Singapore when I met him) He also gave me a green hackle which he claimed they wore in those days. I showed it on the forum some time ago, but I don't think we ever got closure on it.