News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

question about Korea DPR

volkssturm

Hello my friends; today I want to ask you about something that I`ve been thinking for some time ago.

We all know that North Korea have one of the most larger armed forces of the world with millions of military personal ready to invade or defend their country, but is also one of the most isolated countries of the world (in fact I don`t know if they really export anything, they barely have any contact with other countries but China. My question is:how is possible to see many medals, badges and even propaganda posters in online sales? articles that are dated even from the korean war, from the 70s and some ones thay says to be just 10 or 20 years old, many of such things seems to be very used. I wonder, how many of these are fakes?? and if there are originals, how t h did they came out of that country??

Hello my friends; today I want to ask you about something that I`ve been thinking for some time ago.

We all know that North Korea have one of the most larger armed forces of the world with millions of military personal ready to invade or defend their country, but is also one of the most isolated countries of the world (in fact I don`t know if they really export anything, they barely have any contact with other countries but China. My question is:how is possible to see many medals, badges and even propaganda posters in online sales? articles that are dated even from the korean war, from the 70s and some ones thay says to be just 10 or 20 years old, many of such things seems to be very used. I wonder, how many of these are fakes?? and if there are originals, how t h did they came out of that country??

There are many answers to this question, certainly there are reproductions being sold as in just about all areas of collecting. I also know of an ex-collector of Imperial Japanese items (Warren Sessler), who was instrumental in bringing in many great Japanese items in the 70s. Mr Sessler is said to have moved to China, near the border of the DPRK and he deals in DPRK militaria and medals. So perhaps some are being brought out by him and others like him. The Chinese are active traders on many auction sites so it's not unreasonable to see them selling DPRK items.

As for trades and exports, the DPRK exports weapons to many countries like Burma ( I refuse to use the other name), Iran, and formerly Iraq to name a few. So there are a few ways that items come out. I am sure there are many more. Scott.

There are many answers to this question, certainly there are reproductions being sold as in just about all areas of collecting. I also know of an ex-collector of Imperial Japanese items (Warren Sessler), who was instrumental in bringing in many great Japanese items in the 70s. Mr Sessler is said to have moved to China, near the border of the DPRK and he deals in DPRK militaria and medals. So perhaps some are being brought out by him and others like him. The Chinese are active traders on many auction sites so it's not unreasonable to see them selling DPRK items.

As for trades and exports, the DPRK exports weapons to many countries like Burma ( I refuse to use the other name), Iran, and formerly Iraq to name a few. So there are a few ways that items come out. I am sure there are many more. Scott.

Good answer, I didn`t knew they sell weapons, that`s a very lucrative bussiness; I thought they had an order of forbiding to take out any military items out of their country or something like it but it seems like they don`t. Do you know any information link to spot fakes? some of them are really cheap stuff

Good answer, I didn`t knew they sell weapons, that`s a very lucrative bussiness; I thought they had an order of forbiding to take out any military items out of their country or something like it but it seems like they don`t. Do you know any information link to spot fakes? some of them are really cheap stuff

Sorry, I don't collect DPRK but I am sure there are those here on the forum that can help you. I just posted a few things that I was aware of regarding your question. Good luck, Scott.

…or you can travel to NK and buy the stuff there, at least the propaganda stuff you can get in the hotels and gift shops. For medals and older stuff you my need some relations. This summer I will find out :whistle:

I spent some time in the Dandong area (Chinese City on the NK border) last summer. They had many Korean Shops there whit Nord Korean stuff. Also a lot of smuggling went on there! Just outside dandong the yalu river on some parts is very narrow and shallow. One time early in the morning I watched some North Koreans Farmers run across to deal whit some Chinese and the Nord Korean Soldiers did not shoot (surprisingly for me), but they took they cur of the earned money when they returned. I guess everything that sales goes across this border Medals inclusive. I bought some smuggled NK booze from a Chines Farmer it tasted disgusting :cheers:

Here is a picture of the so «famous» NK/Chinese border north of Dandong (my side China other side of that ditch North Korea)…

cheers

a l e x

…or you can travel to NK and buy the stuff there, at least the propaganda stuff you can get in the hotels and gift shops. For medals and older stuff you my need some relations. This summer I will find out :whistle:

I spent some time in the Dandong area (Chinese City on the NK border) last summer. They had many Korean Shops there whit Nord Korean stuff. Also a lot of smuggling went on there! Just outside dandong the yalu river on some parts is very narrow and shallow. One time early in the morning I watched some North Koreans Farmers run across to deal whit some Chinese and the Nord Korean Soldiers did not shoot (surprisingly for me), but they took they cur of the earned money when they returned. I guess everything that sales goes across this border Medals inclusive. I bought some smuggled NK booze from a Chines Farmer it tasted disgusting :cheers:

Here is a picture of the so «famous» NK/Chinese border north of Dandong (my side China other side of that ditch North Korea)…

cheers

a l e x

Interesting, seems a good place to make bussiness si I would like to be there too, that smuggling thing sounds very familiar because it happens a lot in the country I live. By the way, it makes me curious about how that booze would taste