News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

USE US - OR, LOSE US.........

Mervyn,

I have some time off and am trying desperately to learn computer skills. I have a few bits and bobs from other countries that I am attempting to get posted but Im afraid I am a bit of a luddite.

There is also the problem that doing the job we do we don't really like to broadcast the fact but be assured we are friends here. I personally would love to see more American patches etc ( might get some trades going ) and I would love to see some French Gendarmie stuff.

Come on folks lets get posting

Craig

Hi Mervyn,

I haven't seen any new posts from you on the POLICE OF THE WORLD threads ,with the caps you were getting in.

Are you still waiting for more caps or are the ones you showed all you got ?

Look forward to seeing more soon.

Best Regards,

Les

Thanks for the reminder Les. I have quite a few more here that I haven't posted - also there are more at the flat in Bournemouth. I must get them sent over. I keep going onto new projects - am trying to write a history for the only Canadian tipstaff - do an article with illustrations for 'Death of the Prince Imperial' - and have just bought a 1900 book on senior officers of the Boer War - all in their full dress uniforms. I am going to start posting this on Brit.& Commonwealth Military History this afternoon. I think the truth is that us 'oldies' think we can do more then we really can ! How are you at present ?

I am glad that members have agreed that we shouldn't let this Foreign Police section disappear. We did ask Nick to make it available.

Dick - Sir John Waldron was Commissioner when I joined. Nice old boy - but, I don't remember him being very effective. His Deputy was a man called Starr - he used to make un-announced inspection visits on Police stations and was a very 'rough' piece of work. Everyone was terrified of him. I remember on one visit he made me walk him around my 'Beat' - at that time right in the heart of the East End. I was very polite to him !

Kev - nice old pair of handcuffs - are they Romanian made ? The shape of the aperture is slightly different to the US and UK patterns. Thanks for posting them - now, don't forget the medals..........

Thanks for the reminder Les. I have quite a few more here that I haven't posted - also there are more at the flat in Bournemouth. I must get them sent over. I keep going onto new projects - am trying to write a history for the only Canadian tipstaff - do an article with illustrations for 'Death of the Prince Imperial' - and have just bought a 1900 book on senior officers of the Boer War - all in their full dress uniforms. I am going to start posting this on Brit.& Commonwealth Military History this afternoon. I think the truth is that us 'oldies' think we can do more then we really can ! How are you at present ?

I am glad that members have agreed that we shouldn't let this Foreign Police section disappear. We did ask Nick to make it available.

Dick - Sir John Waldron was Commissioner when I joined. Nice old boy - but, I don't remember him being very effective. His Deputy was a man called Starr - he used to make un-announced inspection visits on Police stations and was a very 'rough' piece of work. Everyone was terrified of him. I remember on one visit he made me walk him around my 'Beat' - at that time right in the heart of the East End. I was very polite to him !

Kev - nice old pair of handcuffs - are they Romanian made ? The shape of the aperture is slightly different to the US and UK patterns. Thanks for posting them - now, don't forget the medals..........

Good morning Mervyn,

Thanks for that great piece of history. I agree that he must have retired in obscurity as not too much information was openly available. I do know that he served in Ceylon during WWII. But what a shame to let your personal awards turn up at auction houses.

Dick

Hi Mervyn,

Yes ,time just flies by nowadays, like yourself I have of loads of projects to get on with but don't have enought time in the day to get any of them completed.

Healthwise I'm doing O.K. at the moment, wasn't too good over Christmas which Is why I wasn't surfing the site, just getting back to look now I'm feeling better.

Maybe this year I'll work out how to post pictures :)

Look forward to seeing what other caps you have and of course commenting on them:)

And for

Foofighter,

what French Gendarmerie stuff are you looking to see ? Do you have a specific interest ?

Best Regards.

Les