News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ZIMBABWE MEDALS LIST

heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,I will try to put some order in the various decoration of Zimbabwe.It will not be complete,as some Civil awards are hard to get,but who knows.

Here I begin by the highest awards for Gallantry (of the 4 services : Army - Police - Prison - Air Force), the Gold Cross of Zimbabwe & the Silver Cross of Zimbabwe.

Here you can see Army awards (the army awards,and this apply for all medals,is symbolised by an oak branch on suspension bar).For the Air Force it's an Eagle with Streched Wings,for the Police it is the Balance of Justice and for the Prison it's a Key.

The Gold Cross of Zimbabwe is a Specimen,but I never saw an attributed one for sale.

The Silver Cross of Zimbabwe is 40 millimeters wide & has a weight of 47 grammes (heavy).

It is told that it exist a Gold & Silver Cross for Civilian,but despite the ribbon exist on ribbon charts,I never saw one.

Emmanuel

Here is a rarely seen together serie of 4 Long & Exemplary Service Medal.Actually this medal is awarded for 15 Years of Service.A bar for longer service is seen sometimes.

From left to right :

Air Force Long & Exemplary Service Medal

Prison Long & Exemplary Service Medal

Police Long & Exemplary Service Medal

Army Long & Exemplary Service Medal

According to some ribbon charts & text it also exist a fifth one,the Long & Exemplary Service for Civilian (If someone has a picture,he's most welcome to post it).

This medal has also a diameter of 32 millimeters

Emmanuel

Here is the Zimbabwe Commendation Medal.

Again here,and as before this medal is suppose to exist in 5 type (Army,Police,Prison,Air Force & Civil).

Here at left is the Air Force Commendation Medal & at right the Police Commendation Medal.

Emmanuel

Here again a rarely seen award.

It's Zimbabwe Efficient Service Medal.Here a Police Efficient Service Medal.

You'll see that the ribbon has only 2 yellow stripes at each edges ,and the Police Long & Exemplary Service has 3 yellow stripes near edges.

This silver plated medal is named on the reverse.

If someone has Efficient Service Medal from others service,he's most welcome to post it here.

Emmanuel

Here it's the Zimbabwe Defense Pipeline Medal.

During the civil war in neighbouring Mozambique,the rebel of the RENAMO (backed by South African Secrret Service) attacked continuously the pipleline that from the habour of Beira in Mozambique feeded Zimbabwe with fuel.

Robert Mugabe had sent more than 3000 of his troops to protect the pipline which was vital for his country.

I was told a story by a fellow south african that very few of these medals were given to the soldiers,as one day a bag with 3000 of them arrived in Johannesburg (all of them named).

By the way this medal is sometimes met on mounted group,so it might be that some person ave really be awarded the medal.

Emmanuel

Here a group of Zimbabwe Medal for which I have no explanation of ribbon colors ?

The Service Medal has a white ribbon with a central green stripe and the shades of the Pipeline Medal ribbon are darker !!!

Even the last medal at right which is for the troops send in RDC ( Republic Democratic du Congo , or ex Zaire ) has a ribbon that I never saw on others such a medals.

Again if someone has a accurate information he's most welcome,but please don't write things like "oh no I don't know" it helps no way.

Emmanuel

Here is the Zimbabwe Medal awarded to troops that were sent by Robert Mugabe in RDC ( Republic Democratic du Congo or ex Zaire) in the period 1998-2002.The medal was only officially instituted in 2006.

It's the ribbon with which the medal is almost always found.

But on the post I did above,you will see another one.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here is also an important award related to the period before the independence of Zimbabwe.

It is the Liberation Medal (this is a 2 classes award,silver & bronze) and it was awarded to those who before 18 april 1981 (the date of independence of Zimbabwe) have given service to the establishment of the country.

Mostly ex guerilla fighter.

Emmanuel

Here you can see the Liberation Decoration (Megan has to be credited for this picture). This decoration was awarded to those who were directly and at a high level,linked to the establishment of the Republic of Zimbabwe.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

As you can see when Robert Mugabe is on parade he's wearing first the Liberation Medal 1st Class,then the Independence Medal,then the Liberation Decoration.

The breast star below is the Order of Merit of Zimbabwe.

But amazingly this others high officer is wearing his medal a different way.First on row the Liberation Decoration,then Liberation Medal,then Independence Medal.

On 2nd row and from left to right : Pipeline Defense Medal - Long & Exemplary Service Medal - Service Medal - ??? - Possibly the Efficient Service Medal.

If someone has some more detailed pictures,he's most welcome to post them.

Mostly of civil officers !!!

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading a very self-congratulatory piece about Zimbabwe's 25th anniversary http://www.africasia.com/uploads/zimbabwe.pdf in which 3 Orders were mentioned as having been given out during the celebrations: -

The senior order is the Order of the Star of Zimbabwe, which is (or was) apparently awarded for superlative achievements and performance in various fields – social, cultural, economic or public service.

The second is the Order of the Great Zimbabwe, which was named after the Great Zimbabwe monument, the sublime architectural complex which stands today, near the south-central city of Masvingo, as the outcrop of the vibrant pre-colonial African civilisation that, at its height, developed trade and cultural ties with territories as far afield as India, Indonesia and China. The award is given to gallant sons and daughters whose legacy of selfless service to the liberation, survival and development of Zimbabwe is both immortal and indelible.

The third is the Royal Order of Munhumutapa, which was named after King Munhumutapa, the founding father of the greatest empire that existed south of the Kasambabezi River (called Zambezi by the Europeans) during the pre-colonial era. Munhumutapa was renowned for being a great architect, strategist and a unifying force in the confederacy. The origins of Zimbabwe as a nation state, its pan-African perspective and deep ancestry of relations with the countries now constituting the SADC, can be traced back to the Munhumutapa Empire.

Anyone heard of - or better yet, seen - these?

• 4 weeks later...

Great to see some others out there with an interest in Zim Honours and awards! To answer Megan's question see below. As far as i know the only Royal Order Of Munhumutapa Awards issued were those at the 25th anniversary celebrations. I monitor Zim media reporting closely and havn't seen any further awards of these. When Mugabe retires (30 years and still going strong!) he will get the Order Of Great Zimbabwe. I am not aware of any awards of the Order Of The Star of Zimbabwe.

The Order Of Great Zimbabwe:

3 Variants:

Platinum. Reserved for Zimbabwe Heads Of State Upon Their Retirement.

Gold. Reserved for Zimbabwe Vice Presidents.

Silver. Reserved for any other deserving local citizens.

The Royal Order Of Munhumutapa:

Honour none Zimbabweans who supported the liberation of Zimbabwe.

The Order of the Star Of Zimbabwe

Medals is the highest category of commendation medals

Order of the Star Of Zimbabwe – 4 variants:

Platinum. Reserved for persons who distinguish themselves in rthe field of politics, and the Diplomatic Service, as well as declared National Heroes.

Gold. Conferred on persons who register exceptional public performance in the fields of Public Service, Defence and Security.

Silver. Conferred on persons who distinguish themselves in areas of Academia and Research, Business and Economics and Social Services.

Bronze. Conferred on eminent achievers in areas of the Arts, Culture, Sports and Entertainment.

• 1 year later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 10 months later...
    • 4 years later...

I hope you realise three things. One that a lot of medals issued during Mugabe's reign including for gallantry were political.

Point two is that the construction of the Zimbabwe awards and medals was utter rubbish compared to the superb construction of the Rhodesian awards.

Point three is that Mugabe copied some of the Rhodesian awards and just changed the name, the design and the ribbon and made them from inferior metals.

Edited by rhodesianmilitaria