News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Metropolitan Police Coronation Medals

Hello Everyone,

A nice pair of Metropolitan Police Coronation Medals came my way a few months ago and I have just completed the court mounting of them. They are named to Warrent No. 71791 PS and Insp. C.Brown.

The 1902 medal is named to Police Sergeant C. Brown.

The 1911 medal is named to Inspector C. Brown

He joined the service on 31/05/1886 and retired out as an Inspector on 03/01/1912.

He served in V Division (Wandsworth) in 1886 as a PC and research shows he would have been awarded the 1887 Jubliee Medals as well as the 1897 clasp.

In 1902 he was served in Y Division (Highgate) as a Police Sergeant.

1911 found him in X Division (Kilburn) with the rank of Inspector.

An interesting career spanning the reign of three monarchs.

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Hi Brian,

When I saw your thread, I became very excited, but sadly on closer examination, it was short lived. Basically I have a framed photo of all the Insp of X Div. I thought I was going to be able to supply you with a face for your medals, but alas its not to be as there is no Insp Brown, listed, sorry.

Gordon.

Guest pikemedals

hi brian, it a nice pair you got there. it a shame it missing the 1887 medal.will see if i got police orders for the surname brown.if so i will look him up for you.i just pick up a pair off ebay last week to find out he rejoin the armed forces for the boer war.1902/1911 medals to a pc h.stephens.thanks for sharing it with us brain paul

Edited by pikemedals

Guest pikemedals

hi brian. pc charles brown joined on the 31/05/1886. on the 01/09/1890 pc brown 72 3rd divn to pc brown 423v v.divn (police order date 05/09/1890).18/01/1896 pc brown 423v to pc brown 7vr v.divn (reserve)( po 14/01/1896).14/04/1898 pc brown 7vr to ps 27f f.divn (po 15/04/1898).30/03/1901 ps brown 27f to sps 32y y.divn ( 01/04/1901).10/01/1903 sps brown 32y to insp x divn (po 12/01/1903 ).07/11/1908 insp brown to reserve (po 20/10/1908).03/06/1912 insp brown x divn pensioned. on the day he joined the police orders does not give any division for him, I cant see any movement between the day he joined 31/05/1886 to 01/09/1890 from when he was in 3rd division. Sometimes the police orders database are a bit thin on early movements of officers. In the book by J Kemp his 1887 coronation medal was to the V Div. Hope this info helps you in any way. going to the national archives this week and will look at his papers paul

Thirty years ago I passed on a very nice group:

Second Afghanistan with Kandahar clasp, 2/7th Royal Fusiliers

1887 Metropolitan Police Jubilee and 1897 clasp

1902 Metropolitan police Coronation

1911 Metropolitan Police Coronation

Sadly, I didn't record the name.

Edited by Michael Johnson

Supt Olive & Chief Insps and Insps....

Sygrove

Collison

Whittle

Ball

Dingle

Douglas

Baxter

Reid

Taylor

Macer

Ricketts

Perry

Instance

Dauncey

Sellors

Cosgrove

Morgan

Barrett

Parker

Lvie

Richards.

X Div

Hi Gordon,

Interesting that his name does not show up. Thanks for taking the time to look him up.

Regards

Brian

hi brian. pc charles brown joined on the 31/05/1886. on the 01/09/1890 pc brown 72 3rd divn to pc brown 423v v.divn (police order date 05/09/1890).18/01/1896 pc brown 423v to pc brown 7vr v.divn (reserve)( po 14/01/1896).14/04/1898 pc brown 7vr to ps 27f f.divn (po 15/04/1898).30/03/1901 ps brown 27f to sps 32y y.divn ( 01/04/1901).10/01/1903 sps brown 32y to insp x divn (po 12/01/1903 ).07/11/1908 insp brown to reserve (po 20/10/1908).03/06/1912 insp brown x divn pensioned. on the day he joined the police orders does not give any division for him, I cant see any movement between the day he joined 31/05/1886 to 01/09/1890 from when he was in 3rd division. Sometimes the police orders database are a bit thin on early movements of officers. In the book by J Kemp his 1887 coronation medal was to the V Div. Hope this info helps you in any way. going to the national archives this week and will look at his papers paul

Thanks for the information and thank you for offering to check further at the archives.

I look forward to what you will find.

Regards

Brian

Thirty years ago I passed on a very nice group:

Second Afghanistan with Kandahar clasp, 2/7th Royal Fusiliers

1887 Metropolitan Police Jubilee and 1897 clasp

1902 Metropolitan police Coronation

1911 Metropolitan Police Coronation

Sadly, I didn't record the name.

That sounds like a great group, I would have liked to have seen it.

If only we could keep everything we ever collected.

Regards

Brian

That sounds like a great group, I would have liked to have seen it.

If only we could keep everything we ever collected.

Regards

Brian

Brian, don't get me started on that road! (a Tibet with Gyantse clasp and trio to the Sportsmans Battalion Royal Fusiliers, LSGC, KIA and on the Thiepval Memorial comes to mind.)

I have one 1887 Jubilee Medal in my collection, with a tenuous Jack the Ripper connection......

Police Constable Joseph Daniels Metropolitan Police.

Joined 17th May 1886, posted to C Div PC 387 (St James), 10th August 1888, posted to J Div PC 223/PC 502 (Bethnal Green) 20 days before the murder of Polly Nichols, at Bucks Row. 15th August 1890 posted to E Div PC259 (Holborn). He received a pay increase on the 23rd May 1891. Then on the 23rd May 1892, he died on duty, from choking to death on his own false teeth, whilst effecting an arrest. A local paper, The Holborn and Finsbury Guardian ran the following story??.

The Danger of false Teeth

On Wednesday evening at St Clement Danes Vestry-hall, Strand, Mr John Troutbeck, the coroner for Westminster, held an inquiry into the circumstances attending the death of Police Constable Joseph Daniels 259E aged 27 years who was killed early on Sunday morning whilst taking a prisoner to Bow Street Police Station. Superintendent Steggles of the E Division, was present, Joseph Daniels a registration agent of 9 Meeting House Lane, Peckham. Identified the deceased as his son, lately resided at Jubilee Buildings, Waterloo Road. Sometime ago he had erysipelas in the face, and the divisional surgeon ordered him to have some of his teeth extracted and replaced by false ones. These he was wearing at the time of his death, PC 379E Alfred Smith, said that on Sunday morning at about 12:20 he was in Kemble Street, Clare market, taking a prisoner to Bow Street Police Station. A crowd of several hundred persons had assembled and an attempt to rescue the man was made. Witness blew his whistle and in response the deceased came running up. He took hold of the prisoners other arm and they had only proceeded a few yards, when the witness missed the deceased, and on looking round saw him lying on the pavement. Another constable came up and witness went oh his way. PC350E William Stewart said that he was on duty in Newcastle Street when he heard the whistle blow, and on going to Kemble Street saw the two Constables with a man in custody. Witness broke through the crowd, and then he saw the deceased lying on the ground. He immediately undid his collar and sent for an ambulance, on which he conveyed the unfortunate man to the hospital. By the Coroner: the deceased was not knocked down, kicked or otherwise assaulted. Dr Eric Law Pritchard, house physician at Kings College Hospital, said that the deceased was dead when he was admitted. He made the post-mortem examination, which revealed that the deceased, was an exceedingly healthy man. Just about the larynx witness found a set of false teeth impacted, which had produced suffocation, the cause of death. The teeth were of a very inferior make, no doubt they became loosened through the deceased running, and an inspiration drew them down his throat. The jury returned a verdict of ?Accidental Death? and added that they thought the deceased was over anxious to do his duty.

Entitled to the 1887 Jubilee Medal.

Poor Bugger Kemble Street to Bow Street is only a couple of hundred yards. Today his only difficulty would be getting past all the street entertainers.

I wonder what the prisoner would have been charged with? Manslaughter?

Foo Fighter

Re your Police Medals - to Lynch and check if it is Rowter (not Rowther) I can't find anyone with the name Rowther

Warrant No 55494 PC Richard Rowter Joined 17/07/1871 Left 05/03/1894 Serving in W Division (Died while in service)

Warrant No 65461 PC John Lynch Joined 21/03/1881 Pensioned 06/03/1906 Serving in W Division

I can't tell you what the cause of death was for Rowter but Lynch was promoted to a PS (Sergeant) 07/02/1896 (and earned his 1897 bar as a PS in M Div)

He then moved to R Div as a PS but on 13/11/1900 he was demoted back to PC again and moved to W Div (some disciplinary offence which will be in the Police Orders)

L Div - Lambeth

M Div - Southwark

R Div - Greenwich

W Div - Clapham

The photo of X Division was taken in 1913 which was the year after Insp Brown retired - hence why he isn't in the photo I'm afraid.

I do have the 1902 Medal to one of the men in that photo - Insp Richard Rickett - in the photo (and for most of his career) they mispelt his name as Ricketts - it seems to only be spelt correctly in the Police Orders when he joined and when he retired. He is the fourth man from the left in the middle row.

The Supt in the photo - James Olive - went on to be Deputy Commissioner - the first man in the history of the Met to go from PC to that rank. He already looks pretty old in the picture, he was actually 59 in 1913. He went on to serve for another 12 years and retired in 1925 after nearly 53 years service in the Met Police. Was knighted (KBE) just before he retired.

Difficult to speculate what his 'crime' was. It must have been reasonable serious to have been demoted. The sort of pecking order for offences was:

1. Fine or reduction in pay

2. Transfer to another division at the same rank

3. Demotion to a lower rank (which invariably meant a transfer as well)

4. Required to resign (ie resigned or be sacked)

5. Dismissed

Quite a few PSs were busted for not doing their job properly (ie not patrolling their allocated area to check on their officers on the beat, taking unauthorised breaks etc)

I have one where the PS was busted for a whole host of things including taking unauthorised breaks, skiving off in a private premises, failing to patrol his officers, falsifying his beat records and what appears to be going into a pub whilst on duty. Sadly I can't get the extract small enough to post (and still be readable).

I quite often think about the officers who received the Jubilee and Coronation Medals and wonder about the era they lived in. As mentioned before they would have read about Jack the Ripper and perhaps served in or near White Chappel. The other night my wife and I were watching an episode of Sherlock Holmes on television and I said that there was a good chance that some, if not all, of the poice officers named on medals in my collection would have read about Sherlock Holmes during the actual time his exploits were in the newspaper. To this she turned, looked at me with a pained expression and ask, "You do know he wasn't real...right?" Funny woman!

Perhaps this is off topic but I wanted to share that with the members who are interested in these medals and the times.

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

This is a miniature pair to PS Albert Callaway, attested 8/10/1900 and served in T, A and J divisions. The 1902 is named in a very neat little engraved script. I have always being intrigued as to why anyone would name a miniature, but Im glad they did as I have been able to do a little research on him because of it. I bought it as a single and added the 1911 latter, this one is unnamed.

Chris

This is a miniature pair to PS Albert Callaway, attested 8/10/1900 and served in T, A and J divisions. The 1902 is named in a very neat little engraved script. I have always being intrigued as to why anyone would name a miniature, but Im glad they did as I have been able to do a little research on him because of it. I bought it as a single and added the 1911 latter, this one is unnamed.

Chris

That's a great pair of miniatures, I wish more people had taken the time (and spent the money) to have had them engraved.

Thanks for posting them.

Regards

Brian