Gentleman's Military Interest Club
heusy68

SIERRA LEONE MEDALS LIST

Hello Gentlemen,despite there is very few information concerning the award of Sierra Leone I will try to list the few for which I have pictures and let's see if someon else can help.

I will begin by the Decorations & Medals.The Order of the Republic & the Order of the Rokel will be on a separate topic.

Sierra Leone get its Independence from United Kingdom in 1961 and became a Republic 10 Years later on 19 april 1971.

Dr Siaka Stevens who was prime minister from 1968 to 1971 was elected President on 21 april 1971 and he resign to power on 28 november 1985.

From 1991 to 2002 Sierra Leone had to suffer a bloody civil war with lots of atrocities.

Here is : Order of Bravery.

Ok it looks like a Victoria Cross,but it was made like that and the reverse is blank.

I cannot say much more about it than the picture itself.

Emmanuel

This is the Gallantry Medal of Sierra Leone,or Bai Bureh Star (from the name of a famous local fighter).

Reverse is blank.

A well known UK dealer price it at 395 Pounds,but I think I got it for 50 Pounds in 2004.

Emmanuel

Here is the Wallace Johnson Medal ( a Panafricanist from Sierra Leone). This medal is to reward meritorious action from a civil or a military nature.

This medal was made by Huguenin.It's a large one 44 millimeters in diameters.Reverse is blank.

Emmanuel

This medal , I will call it Medal of Honour 2nd Class because it exist also as a neck badge.

This specific medal I bought it in the Sarjah Souk in 2004.

Nicely shaped but not very much information available.

Emmanuel

This is the Sierra Leone Army Long Service & Good Conduct Medal issued during Presidency of Dr. Siaka Stevens ( 1971-1985 ).

A later type was issued after which retain the same reverse but with the Coat of Arms of Sierra Leone on obverse.

Emmanuel

This is the Sierra Leone Army Long Service & Good Conduct Medal current type (or at least issued after 1986 till ??? 1991 ?? and maybe awarded again since 2002) ?

If anyone has pictures of local soldiers.Lot's of UN Troops have been sent to Sierra Leone,there should be someone who has more information somewhere !!!

Emmanuel

Here you can see the 2 LSGC Medal side by side together.Both are in silver and the one issued during the Presidency of Siaka Stevens is named on the rim to "SLA 18159396 CPL Kamara B"

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

This is the Civil Defense Medal of Sierra Leone.

There has been an article written by Owain in the OMRS (very interesting article).And it seems this medal was struck but never awarded.

Emmanuel

This is Sierra Leone Long & efficient Service Medal (the ribbon is with a system to attach to uniform).Reverse is blank.

Again not much more information about this medal.

Emmanuel

Referring to ribbon charts.This medal should be Sierra Leone Police Gallantry Medal (1971-85).

But as you can read on the reverse it's Police Long Service & Good Conduct Medal

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

It's a fact that may have been forgotten by 99 % of the population but from 1961 till 1971 HM Queen Elisabeth II was also Queen of Sierra Leone.

Here I post a medal that is nowday common everywhere ( I even saw one on a coin dealer shop in Singapore).

It's the General Service Medal.

Sources refer to a complete serie of such medals :

Police Medal for Gallantry

Police Medla for Meritorious Service

Police Medal for Long service

Fire Brigade Medal for Gallantry

Fire Brigade Medal for Meritorious Service

Fire Brigade Medal for Long Service

And of course an Independence Medal.

If anybody has a picture he's always welcome to post it here.Our knowledge on Sierra Leone is very thin,and help is always appreciated.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Excellent introduction Emannuel - many thanks.

The General Service Medal in miniature often has the clasp "Congo" but I have yet t see this in full size. I have also yet to see it as part of a British group of medals.

The Independence Medal is one of the scarcer ones from the UK series of such awards and I paid some GBP230 for one at auction some years ago.

Regards,

Owain

Edited by oamotme

Guest 19NEDELSKIY57

Hi Folks, My name is 19NEDELSKIY57 and my only contribution to the forum is spamming.

Emmanuel - I worked for two years in Sierre Leone managing the only advertising agency. This would have

been from about 1965 - I had just finished a 3.5 year contract in Thailand - had 6 months home leave and was then

'head hunted' to SL. The first President , and still in office when I was there , was Sir Albert Margai. They had

their independence and he was living in the old Governor's mansion.

He used to travel to a small gun shop opp. my office to buy shotgun cartridges. The old Rolls had the drop head rear

compartment and he would sit on his own - waving to anyone who noticed him. He had 'umpteen' police m/cyclists and

Landrovers surrounding him.

However, SL was a lovely quiet place to live - and in my little VW Beetle I could travel right up-country staying in

Govt. Guesthouses. I never had any problems and the people were very friendly. The inhabitants of Freetown were

descendents from freed slaves and called themselves Kreoles. I think I mentioned before, that my secretary - a small

black Lady , had the name of Mrs. McKenzie ! I was also supposed to look after Liberia and the Cameroons - but

refused point-blank to go to either !

They must have had Commemorative medals for the Independence - and I am sure inherited - or, set-up a new

set of medals and awards. Yours seem to be from a later period ? Mervyn

Hello Gentlemen,

I bet everybody knows about the regular Sierra Leone Independence Medal with QEII.

I recently was able to purchase an "unofficial" Sierra Leone Independence Medal, in metal-gilt (from an old collection).

The obverse refer also to Gambia which get full Independence from UK in 1965. As long as I know the administration of these 2 colonies were separated.  Also colours of ribbon are the same of regular independence medal, but inverted (bleu, white, green), and that medal was born such a way (you can see ribbon was clothed).

Diameter 38 millimeters & thick 2,75 millimeters.

What is "strange" is the date on reverse 1441-1961, as Sierra Leone was first discoverd by European in 1462 by portuguese explorer Pedro de Sintra. The year 1441 could refer to discovery of Cabo Blanco by the portuguese, but that area is more than 1000 miles north of nowday Sierra Leone.

Can anybody helps ? Mervyn ? You lived there.

Regards.

Emmanuel

Sierra Leone Indepedence Medal obverse.jpg

Sierra Leone Indepedence Medal reverse.jpg

Sierra Leone Indepedence Medal 2 obverse.jpg

Sierra Leone Indepedence Medal 2 reverse.jpg

Sierra Leone Indepedence 2 Medals ribbon clothed.jpg

Sierra Leone Indepedence 2 Medals.jpg