News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Photos Royal Inniskillin Fusiliers

Hi guys,

I post some nice photos for discuss. Picked them up from Belfast yesterday and actually I haven't read/learned about the details of them.

Here we go...

1. Two NCOs from Royal Inniskillin Fusiliers (written on the back).

Regarding their uniform, I presume photo is made somewhere in Africa or East.

What I really like - standing man has Military Medal ribbon on his ribbon bar.

17675395c4acdf_o.jpg

and the second man.

Looks like 5 place ribbon bar. I think VM and BWM are in first place and the last one looks like LS&GC medal but what can be in the middle? Maybe there are some clasps on them as well???

1767540128dbdb_o.jpg

Close up:

Whats the neck award he is wearing?

Medal bar like I understand consist:

1. MBE

2. 1914 or 1914-15 Star

3. British War Medals

4. Victory Medal with the MID

5. India General Service Medal (?)

6. Jubilee?

17675415f765bc_l.jpg

Hi Noor! Very nice pics!!

About the gent in post #2. His ribbons throw me for a loop...

- The first one could be a MM, I guess, but the 2 central stripes look too narrow and they seem darker then the 2 wide ones on the sides... Odd considering the wide stripes were dark blue while the central narrow ones were bright red. Unless original period ribbons had narrower central stripes?

- The 2nd ribbon looks more like a 1914-15 Star ribbon. An inter-allied victory medal would be after a BMW and darker in the center area.

- The 3rd... Hard to imagine a BMW with such a dark central stripe. Unless original period ribbons were much darker?

Here's a question for people who know much more than I do:

Were the 1914 and 1914-15 Stars awarded prior to the end of hostilities? If so, then the 3rd, 4th and 5th ribbons would have no connection to WW1 and it would make the 1st and 2nd easier to ID. 1= MM, 2 = 1914-15 Star, rest = ?

The gent in post #3 would then be also wearing a 1914-15 Star ribbon at left... And the picture would've been taken before the award of both the BMW and VM.

Any thoughts gents?

Addenda: I believe the officer in post #6 is a lieutenant-colonel.

Edited by TacHel

Upon further examination of the officer in posts 5 ans 6, his BMW ribbon comes out very dark!

So our chap in posts #2 could very well be wearing: MM, 1914-15 Star, BMW, rest are too hard to tell... VM and a long service medal?

We're posting in stereo...:beer:

Do you also notice something (must be an MID) on his victory medal?

Frank; agreed -- looks like something on the VM - probably MID.

I was trying to figure out the GSM -- looks like a device there too, but I am not expert enough to know if that's possible.

Frank; agreed -- looks like something on the VM - probably MID.

I was trying to figure out the GSM -- looks like a device there too, but I am not expert enough to know if that's possible.

That's why I didn't venture a guess... I've never seen one with a ribbon device before. Unless it's also an MID? There's a thought...

I'm afraid my talents stop well short of this.

Thank you guys very much for replays! yeah, I forgot that the WW1 trio should run like this - Star-BWM-VM. My bad!

Like I had been advised ltn-colonel has Delhi Durbar Medal of 1911 on the medal bad and around his neck is Companion, Order of the Indian Empire!:cheers:

I have just been advised that the ltn.col. wears Indian Medical Service insignia (IMS).

Also what ranks NCOs are? Picture must be made in 20s because WW1 awards on the ribbon bars. Because the hot climate uniform, can they be from Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 1st Battalion because after the war, the Childers system was resumed, with the 1st Battalion moving to India for foreign service.

The 1st Inniskillings moved from India to Iraq in 1922, returning to Shorncliffe, England in 1925.

During the First World War the 1st Battalion participated in the Landing at Cape Helles on the Gallipoli peninsula in April 1915 with the 29th Division.

Sorry guys, I am pretty green regarding British insignia and uniforms.

Regards,

Timo

Edited by Noor

Two Sergeants; Home in on the pagree flash of the lad seated as one of our Skins researchers may be able to identify it. Definately post-Great War, but no later than 1929/30 at a guess. I'm also sure the regiment produced a regimental magazine during this period, which could probably help you out, considering overseas stints then lasted for years and not months.

Edited by Graham Stewart