News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

More Challenge Coins

Ed - what exactly is a 'challenge coin' ? It is beautifully cast and with good enamelling - I would have thought of it as a 'souvenir' for visitors.

Is it in fact - a form of identification for the officer ?

REF #3:

Hi Mervyn,

Here is a link about the Challenge Coins. This should answer your questions about them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin

Let me know what you think.

Ed

I'm so glad I asked you about them ,Ed. The article is quite fascinating and I tend to believe the first story about the origins - the shot down pilot. It seems to have the feeling about how traditions are started.

Sometimes we nod our heads when something is shown - and just assume that we know what it is all about. This proved to me exactly that ! I think they are very attractive pieces and if I were looking for a new collecting field, then I would think them worthwhile.

I hope we can develop a whole post on different versions - do you know if other Countries have them - I'm thinking of Canada ?

I'm so glad I asked you about them ,Ed. The article is quite fascinating and I tend to believe the first story about the origins - the shot down pilot. It seems to have the feeling about how traditions are started.

Sometimes we nod our heads when something is shown - and just assume that we know what it is all about. This proved to me exactly that ! I think they are very attractive pieces and if I were looking for a new collecting field, then I would think them worthwhile.

I hope we can develop a whole post on different versions - do you know if other Countries have them - I'm thinking of Canada ?

Mervyn:

Here is another site that may answer your question. Basically, ANY person, organization, military/police unit, etc can have challenge coins made. I did a quick Goole for Canadian Challenge Coins but did not get a specific hit. http://www.coinable.com/foreign_military_challenge_coins.html

Anyway, it may be an interesting opportunity to start a new topic line. I am positive many of our American military members can contribute HUNDREDS of examples.

Ed

Hi Mervyn,

While working in Canada at CFB Kingston I received a challenge coin from the Canadian Military Police Regiment. It is not enameled so not as pretty as Ed's but yes, the Canadians do have them. I received it as a form of recognition for service performed to the regiment. I would assume that they are done in this manner in Canada. I will try to post a nice pic for you. Scott :cheers:

I'm actually 'gob-smacked' with the variety of these attractive items. I thought I knew all - or, most - of the collecting fields , but this is so different. Since thay are almost an official ID is it actually permitted to have them ?

I hope we will see many other examples - I'm going to put a note on the board at the start.

Merwyn, I will be more then happy to upload my collection of challenge coins, but unfortunatly I am finding it difficult to upload them!! If someone maybe can give me a few hints or instructions, I will upload them all!!

Joe

I'm actually 'gob-smacked' with the variety of these attractive items. I thought I knew all - or, most - of the collecting fields , but this is so different. Since thay are almost an official ID is it actually permitted to have them ?

I hope we will see many other examples - I'm going to put a note on the board at the start.

Hi Mervyn,

You stated

'Since thay are almost an official ID is it actually permitted to have them ?'.

I agree that Challenge Coins are a collectable field, however they are just collectibles, they hold no 'official' standing as far as Police Departments are concerned, don't know about the military. Anybody with money can have them made up in any design they want to sell into the collectables market place, just think of them in the same way as the collectable lapel pins. I think there is at least one design for the London Metroplitan Police and would expect to see them for all the European countries that have dealers who make up insignias to make money out of collectors.

Can I just ask that if this is going to be a thread in the Police section, can we keep it to just Police/Sheriff related coins and put the military ones in the appropriate section.

Here is another 'acceptable' use for a challenge coin.

When a group of Police Officers, off duty of course, go on a pub crawl the last guy to put his coin on the bar pays for that round of drinks:)

This is not a collecting interest of mine as I only collect issued and authorised items, but I'm quite intested to see the designs available.

Check out Ebay , there are a few on there.

Actually ,I just noticed the heading of this Special Section is 'POLICE MEDALS & COLLECTABLES', would you know why Police related items are more collectable than military ones? I can't see this terminology used in any of the Military Sections, unless I missed it.

You have to keep up with the new trends in collecting, Mervyn :0)

Best Regards,

Les

Althoug these are not specifically police related, I thought I would add the picture to show some different styles. I will try to do better individual pictures one day if there is interest in a coin section. Scott.

2418375140105252184S600x600Q85.jpg

Scott

Very nice collection, I bet you earned all of them for your service thank you.

Lorenzo

"Can I just ask that if this is going to be a thread in the Police section, can we keep it to just Police/Sheriff related coins and put the military ones in the appropriate section."

The problem with this is that many of us hold dual roles. I posted my FBI coin which is clearly police related and not military, yet I received it as a soldier in Iraq... I would also have to question where Military Police would fall in? So, while perhaps keeping this thread to police would be appropriate, maybe we could put coins and commemoratives in a thread all their own? Thanks, Scott.

Edited by 2xvetran

Hi - Scott. I think we've come across this problem before - military v police. I suppose Les is right in saying we should keep our police sections for this interest - however, in a small collecting field such as these coins - would anyone really complain about seeing the different varieties ? Perhaps if enough are shown, you could start a military section - but, under which heading ?

Les says I should keep up with new collecting trends - I have enough trouble with the 'old' ones ! I take your point about them not having legal status - never-the-less, they are being handed out by official organisations and in the right circumstances would help to aid in identification. We recently discussed this under Police - apparantly many Canadian and US police forces do have a badge for retired officers.

I don't know why Nick made our section Police - I suppose it was to prevent a mix-up with the Military section. The main thing is that new visitors can find us....

Joe - it's good to see you posting. How is Malta these days ? You obviously collect these little 'coins' and I hope you are able to add some.

Hi Mervyn,

There is an appropriate section within GMIC for these coins, wether Police or Military related, it is in the Special Section two down from this one 'COINS and COMMEMORATIVE items' I think it is called.

I don't believe you are correct, although always happy to be corrected, in your belief that these coins are being handed out by 'Official' organisations, I think they are really more like a fraternal item given to someone for their friendship or as a souviner. Anyone can obtain these coins at little or no money, just check out the US Ebay there are currently 313 listings for Police and Military Police related challenge coins at starting prices as low as $1.95, some very impressive designs on some of them. I didn't check the number of Military challenge coins but I expect it will be much more.

They are not an aid to identification, unless you are trying to pass yourself off as something you are not, I could buy a NZ SAS challenge coin off of Ebay today and carry it around with me but I am not a member of that illustrious unit. However others may feel the need to do this.

Having said this I do understand that some units do produce these coins specifically for their members and make sure that only members get them to use as unit identifiers from a cameraderie point of view, but how do you tell which is which when adding one to your collection.

A retired Police officer in the USA and Canada gets a badge to show they have served and as an aid to identification should they need to show they are afiliated with the department . A retirement badge is not purchased by the former member of the department ,it is an official item presented at the end of their career by the department, normally with a photo ID card. So in this repect it is not like a challenge coin.

Regards,

Les

Hi 2XVeteran,

I don't understand your comment can you clarify please:)

What do you mean by 'dual roles', do you mean you collect Military and Police items ?

When you say you received your FBI coin while serving in Iraq as a soldier, do you mean that it was issued to you by the FBI Field Office as a piece of identification or were you given it by an FBI Agent for helping them out in some way?

Military Police would fall into the Military category as they are a Military Unit and NOT a Police department . If you look in many of the sections of this site you will notice that Military Police items are discussed. Some of the threads on this section already are not Police related. like the 'AIR POLICE' which was the Military Police of the USAF, Naval Department Security which is part of the USN, etc. Some exceptions would be the French Gendarmerie and Italian Carabinieri which would fall into both categories as they have both types of units.

Coin and Commemoratives have a thread of there own, so you are correct that they could be put in there.

Best Regards,

Les

Hi Foofighter,

Why create a Special Section for Police ,as a collecting subject within a military based forum, then post military subjects on it, it doesn't make sense.

Civil and Military police are two seperate entities and collecting fields IMHO.

I would be interested to know why you think they are a linked collecting interest :)

Regards,

Les

Hi Mervyn,

There is an appropriate section within GMIC for these coins, wether Police or Military related, it is in the Special Section two down from this one 'COINS and COMMEMORATIVE items' I think it is called.

I don't believe you are correct, although always happy to be corrected, in your belief that these coins are being handed out by 'Official' organisations, I think they are really more like a fraternal item given to someone for their friendship or as a souviner. Anyone can obtain these coins at little or no money, just check out the US Ebay there are currently 313 listings for Police and Military Police related challenge coins at starting prices as low as $1.95, some very impressive designs on some of them. I didn't check the number of Military challenge coins but I expect it will be much more.

They are not an aid to identification, unless you are trying to pass yourself off as something you are not, I could buy a NZ SAS challenge coin off of Ebay today and carry it around with me but I am not a member of that illustrious unit. However others may feel the need to do this.

Having said this I do understand that some units do produce these coins specifically for their members and make sure that only members get them to use as unit identifiers from a cameraderie point of view, but how do you tell which is which when adding one to your collection.

A retired Police officer in the USA and Canada gets a badge to show they have served and as an aid to identification should they need to show they are afiliated with the department . A retirement badge is not purchased by the former member of the department ,it is an official item presented at the end of their career by the department, normally with a photo ID card. So in this repect it is not like a challenge coin.

Regards,

Les

REF #19:

Les, actually these are given out by "official" organizations. The US Military present them to acknowledge superior performance in many cases as well as for a "job well done". When a commander, or senior non-commissioned officer, presents a coin to an individual, or an entire unit, there is usually quite a bit of "Pomp and Circumstance" associated with the presentations as well (and sometimes even an award of a military decoration.)

These are highly valued from a personal standpoint and, although not from a monetary standpoint, quite sought after by many.

Ed

I am quite amazed with the responses being given about this topic. Rather than trying to determine if a Challenge Coin should be posted in the Military or Police forum, why not run a "Test Forum" for a couple of weeks and just title it "Challenge Coins"? They are literally thousands of coins available that are NOT military or police related that could be posted in this one forum. As an example, please check out this site: http://www.challengecoinusa.com/more-challenge-coin-samples.html

It does focus primarily on the military and Law Enforcement as you will see, but if you view the sample page, you'll see MANY other examples.

Just a suggestion for consideration by the Powers at the head of the GMIC :rolleyes:

Thanks for considering.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the additional info on the 'Official' nature of some of these coins, it's appreciated.

So ,you know what the next question is going to be :whistle: , yes ,you guessed it :rolleyes: .

How do you know which coins are 'official' and which ones are made up for the collectors market?

I don't know anything about the collecting of these items as they don't fit with any of my collecting interests, but just wondered if there is a way to tell.

One last question, why would you want to have a section on a Military related Forum for all challenge coins that aren't related to the Military?

I would have thought that there must be a general collecting Forum out there somewhere, but maybe not as I can't find one that just deals with Police insignias:)

Regards,

Les