News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1848-1898 Franz Josef jubilee medal

Richarddwh

Is not! The reverse is in white, with the word patent added to the lower part. This example recently sold on ebay for €180, multiples of what the normal version sells for. Is this a recognised variant? perhaps as a private purchase option?

I seem to remember a thread discussing white enamel having been applied to the reverse of certain ODM for wear with white uniforms (to avoid discoloration by tarnish, etc.) I suspect you'll be hearing from those members shortly.

H

I seem to remember a thread discussing white enamel having been applied to the reverse of certain ODM for wear with white uniforms (to avoid discoloration by tarnish, etc.) I suspect you'll be hearing from those members shortly.

H

I too recall this being discussed, a check of that section should give the answer, though Hugh has done so already.

An interesting solution to keeping one's white uniform in tip top condition.

Regards

Brian

You might be thinking of the Austrian Long Service Cross' thread. I posted an example of a 25yr officer's cross with the mother of pearl reverse and was told this as well.

This is the first time I have seen one of these jubliee medals with a white reverse. Sharp looking! :cheers:

Tim

Tim,

There is an actual thread that covers this subject, I also thought the of the long service thread ( which I enjoyed! )but if you search under 'white uniform', you will eventually find it!

It is of particular interest as I actually have one of these, it had been languishing to one side as I was not sure exactly what it was, mine has traces of glue where the bakelite insert appears to have been applied/reapplied.