News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

M43 Parade uniform

Some important notes:

- postwar shoulderboards have late (post 50-ies) stars

- bridges not respond to this tunic

- belt isn't Soviet

- the cap is postwar and isn't artillery cap.

Check the back side of buttons to define the tunic issue date.

Note: See my post #2:

Sadly, the belt is a DDR Officers belt. I didn't want to remove the belt on my other WWII tunic display and that's all I could come up with for it for the pics. And as the tunic is so small as is the waist on the torso I can't even display it with the belt as to take the photos I had to stuff a towel in the back to make it stay up. My goal is to put on one of the belts with the brass open star buckle. I have the buckle but not the belt so hoping to get one down the road or even the complete set.

I'll reply on the rest a bit later. But for now, the cap and pants were not original to the tunic. They were added to the set. My understanding is that they are proper for this uniform however I've written to Doug and hope to hear back on these questions soon. It's also my understanding that these were used into the 1950's. beer.gif

Oh, and by "bridges not respond to this tunic"... I take it you mean the collar bars? I've enquired about this as well.

As this is my first foray into these types of uniforms (my only experience being with much later types and even then it's been fairly limited) so I don't pretend to know everything. But I know that the seller is extremely knowledgeable and an impeccable source.

Dan cheers.gif

Edited by Hauptman

Okay, the answers:

-Stars on boards are postwar as it's a postwar tunic, used

in late 1940's through 1950's and even up through early

1960's. Fine for the tunic.

-Cap is black band, red piping; not oruiginal to the tunic,

it is a good match. No problem.

-Breeches are not a perfect match (should be piped) but are

a good display set.

This is as I thought and I'm totally comfortable with this set. Of course if I'm able to eventually get the piped breeches down the road I will add them to the set and as noted I am on the look out for one of the belts for the open star brass buckles to use with this. But for now, until I find one I like and can work out I'm actually displaying it without a belt. The DDR belt was only used for the photo I posted and as a stop gap I see no harm in using it... but again the tunic needs a smaller belt.

Re: the boards/stars... our thoughts are that he was a Lt. Colonel when he originally got the tunic and when promoted to full Colonel later he replaced the boards with those of his new rank and most likely at the same time upgraded the collar bars.

Again I have no problem with the set, it's great for display which is what I wanted and it's a good, period uniform set.

Dan cheers.gif

Edited by Hauptman

The answers aren't correct.

If you want to display right period uniform set you should change stars, bridges, belt and visor. This set probably has a great appearance for newcomer but such a mistakes are clear for any soviet military uniform collector.

Red Army history tell us that:

- soviet artillery officer never worn soviet armour troops officer's visor

- soviet artillery officer never worn unknown bridges without red piping

- soviet artillery officer couldn't have Al 60-ies stars on 40-50-ies uniform shoulderboards

- soviet officer didn't wear DDR or any other country belts

And no one serious collector will fill himself comfortable until his set will not become historicaly truthful.

Edited by Komandir RKKA

The answers aren't correct. If you want to display right period uniform set you should change stars, bridges, belt and visor. This set probably has a great appearance for newcomer but such a mistakes are clear for any soviet military uniform collector. Red Army history tell us that: - soviet artillery officer never worn soviet armour troops officer's visor - soviet artillery officer never worn unknown bridges without red piping - soviet artillery officer couldn't have Al 60-ies stars on 40-50-ies uniform shoulderboards - soviet officer didn't wear DDR or any other country belts And no one serious collector will fill himself comfortable until his set will not become historicaly truthful.

Again as stated in post #28 I do not display it with the belt... it is too small and need a smaller belt and again intend to use a proper belt once I'm able to obtain one.

The rest of it is as stated and IS correct. My source is impeccable, has written reference books on same and has an excellent reputation. I am quite happy with the set as it is. As also stated, these were used not only during WW2 but through the 40's, 50's and in some instances into the 60's. There are plenty of photographs showing a mix of insignia and such over time. The original wearers of these uniforms often used what was available to them or made do with what they had. It's the same with Orders and medals, etc. They were not always worn according to regulations... I've seen them worn in all sorts of positions and orders of precedence.

Again I have no problem with the set. If down the road someone wanted to make me an offer on it for more than I have in it then once they have it they can do as they please. But for my purposes it's fine just the way it is, although I am open to changing the medal bar for one that makes a bit more sense.

I appreciate your concerns and advice but again I'm very happy with it as it is.

Dan cheers.gif

I agreed with Frank that I needed something in the way of a bar that made more sense as far as him being a HSU, etc. So, with Frank's very generous help checking out pics, discussing back and forth I finally put one together. All are copies with the exception of the Valor and the VOG. However, the Valor was, I suspect, a blank one which was made into a duplicate. I figured that had already made it a compromised piece so decided to use it for this. I hope this makes more sense.

Edited by Hauptman

It's a full Colonel of Artillery. I wanted something I could display with a bit of glitz and this fit the bill.

But of course, only a Colonel of Artillery could give you that proper bit of glitz. :P

Very nice; something of which to be proud. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

The stars on the shoulder-boards are from what reference states as "pattern of 1954". BTW, it is refreshing to see that the artillery ciphers are silvered.

The cap (which dates to the late 50s thru 60s) is indeed for tankist - with the black velvet band. Artillery cap band was black felt.

The mix of both bullion and stamped metal cuff/collar insignia is OK.

Breeches should be piped in red.

This is is my interpretation of a late 40s/early 50s version dress jacket for artillery officer (see images):

Edited by RichieC