News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1911 Coronation Metropolitan Police Medal

Hi all,

I picked this medal up today and would like to study more. Like I understand each policeman was entitled for that during the coronation service in 1911. I presume these medals are not trackable (if the name isn't super rare/unusal).

My medal is named to: P.C. F.PENFOLD.

Kind Regards,

Timo

177161654092e7_l.jpg

one of two either Frank Penfold or Frederick Penfold Both PCs entitled to 1911 Coronation. One Frank died in First War in 1916 serving with the military the other Frederick was pensioned in 1929. Probably Fredericks as it was all he was entitled to, but may have been split from Frank's military medals

Could be Constable Frank Penfold 682 W Div.

FRANK PENFOLD (682 W.) On November 26th, about 11.45 a.m., I was on duty in Lyham Road, when the prisoner came to me and said, "Constable, arrest me, I have struck my wife on the head with a chopper"I went with him to 43, Comrie Road, where I saw Mrs. Brazier, with her head covered in blood, sitting on a chair in the kitchenthe prisoner stooped to the fire place, picked up this chopper, and said, "This is what I done it with," and then made another attempt to hit herI had a struggle with him, and knocked him downanother policeman came, and we took him to the station some time afterwards, where he said, "I am sorry for what has occurred; I struck my wife with a hammer in the heat of passionshe called me an improper name, and I was mad at the time, but I see the seriousness of it now that I am collected"we took him to the station on an ambulancewe had to struggle with him, and he got away from the ambulance oncehe had been drinking.

Full case here: http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19051211-name-414&div=t19051211-129#highlight

Edited by Michael Johnson

And two cases with P.C. Frederick Penfold:

ROBINSON, William (20, shoemaker); pleaded guilty to burglary in the dwelling-house of Samuel Henry Harris, with intent to steal therein; not guilty to attempting to discharge a loaded revolver at Frederick Penfold with intent to kill and murder him or to do him grievous bodily harm or to resist and prevent the lawful apprehension of himself.

Mr. Symmons prosecuted.

Police-constable PERCIVAL ATTERSALL, 266 E., proved a plan showing the streets and houses referred to in the evidence.

Police-constable FREDERICK PENFOLD, 229 E. On February 8, at 12. 55 a.m., I was on duty in Tavistock Place. I saw two men standing just outside 56, Tavistock Square, a corner house. As I approached one of them tapped twice with his heel on the pavement. Prisoner and another man came up from the area. The four walked away and I followed. I had got within two yards of prisoner when he turned round and covered me with a revolver, saying, "If you touch us I will shoot you."I closed with him. One of the men caught my arm sharply, and they all got away. I ran after the prisoner. He ran back into Tavistock Square and down Upper Bedford Place. Outside No. 38 he turned back again, as he saw another constable coming towards him. He pointed the revolver straight at me without saying anything. I tried to run into him, but he ran too fast. I ran after him into Tavistock Square. There I saw him as he ran throw some iron instrument into the garden of the square. Opposite 37, Gordon Square I caught him up. He again pointed the revolver at me. I closed with him and threatened to strike him with my staff, He then said, "All right, I'll give in." A man named Perks came up just as I caught prisoner and helped me to take him to the station. The revolver produced is the one I took from prisoner. It was loaded in four chambers. Prisoner was quite sober. When he was brought up at Bow Street I was there and he sew me before the case came on. I had the revolver with me. He said, "I wonder what's the matter with that thing; it's not my fault it didn't go off. You're lucky. Just look end see what's the matter with it."

The Court (taking notice of the resolution of the Grand Jury) highly commended Penfold and Perks for their bravery; the latter was ordered a reward of £2, and the attention of the Chief Commissioner was directed to the splendid conduct of Penfold.

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19070225-name-71&div=t19070225-15#highlight

Police-constable FREDERICK PENFOLD, 229 E. On August 6 I was in Gray's Inn Road in plain clothes; hearing a whistle I went to Britannia Street and assisted Goodman in taking O'Flaherty to the station; he was very violent. In Gray's Inn Road Cook rushed up flourishing large jemmy (produced), said, "Let go or I will knock your brains out," and struck me a violent blow on the shoulder. He Attempted to strike again when two men in the crowd caught his arms, seized the jemmy, and detained him.

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19110905-name-220&div=t19110905-56#highlight

The bravery of the police of those days is amazing. It was expected that, armed or no, you went for your man.

Edited by Michael Johnson

Michael - great that you could find those references. You say - quite rightly - that what would earn a medal today, was expected of the Constables at that time. At least the public were willing to come to their help. For Timo the story certainly makes his medal of interest - for whichever Frank....

When are you off to Panama ? Make sure you get pictures for the Foreign Police section ?

Thank you very much guys and thank you to Michael for the cases!:cheers: From where you found them??

Any ideas from where I can find a original period ribbon and pin broach for that medal?

All the best,

Timo