News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

3rd China Medal 1900 - HMS AURORA

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

The Naval and Military Press book entitled "The China War Medal 1900 - To the Royal Navy and Royal Marines" has entries that double confirm Clasp and Medal Entitlement as well as Sumpter's listing in the Casualty List.

Medal Roll Page:

Edited by Darrell

Hello Darrell,

Congratulations on one of the best posts I read in a long while.

I've said many times (off line) that this is the type of post we need to see more of on the GMIC.

On top of that the medal is magnificent, I can't say enough about it, so Ill stop now. :love:

Regards

Brian

Guest Darrell

Thanks Brian .... yeah makes the effort worth it when you get comments like yours.

Sometimes it's no wonder many have left when all you hear are crickets :rolleyes:

Hi - Darrell. Sorry I missed this post or, I would have replied sooner. One of my comments on Nick's Suggestion post (Lounge) was that it would be good to find a way to stop posts disappearing so quickly - probably not possible - I will just have to try and read faster !

I fully agree with Brian's comments. Your research is always very well done and it makes an interesting historical record. There are not that many occasions when so many seamen are killed or, wounded. However, it was a last ditch attempt to save the Legations at Peking. I thought the heading to the injuries record sheet was a classic for the period - ' Wounds and Hurts '.

I would like to comment - not with the intention to cause offence to anyone. When we read a well researched and written post - one that has taken a lot of work and time - why can't we take the time to say that we have enjoyed it ? I know some members think these are 'wasted entries' - I think of them as as a 'thankyou' !

Guest Darrell

Hi Mervyn, thanks mate.

It's amazing how hard it is to find one of these in decent shape and with an interesting story behind it.

The research available from Ancestry and FindMyPast is incredible.

\Not to long ago it meant hiring researchers to head off into the depths of Archive Building (sometimes never to be heard of again) to find all these details.

While they have not been totally made obsolete, now much of this can be done right from your home.