News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Victory Medal

Can anyone tell anything about this medal, ie manufacture, type?

I think a better close up picture of the rear would help

as there are identifying characteristics / Maker marks

contained in the center rear details.

In the Belgian series of Inter-Allied Victory medals Mr. Laslo records:-

Official Issue:- 1 & 2 Type.

Unofficial Issue:- 1, 1a, 2, 3,Types.

Repro:- 1 Type.

However since the books were published there are at least 2 types of modern copies / reproductions.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Can anyone tell anything about this medal, ie manufacture, type?

Hello Nick,

Assuming that there is the name of the designer 'Paul Dubois' on the obverse, lower right near the feet of victory as viewed, this would be a standard official Belgian vic.

The pic of the reverse is a bit blurred but I cannot see any other additional marks of 'LA' or 'R' which are characteristic of the Czech produced models.

Of note is that the medal is on French ribbon which is slightly different to the Belgian produced ribbon.

Regards,

Rob

In regards to the above post by Rob if it circa 37mm in diameter, and is without the name of the designer and has a "R" hallmark at the six o'clock position below the centre wreath on the reverse then its struck by the Prague firm of Edward Riemer.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to the above post by Rob if it circa 37mm in diameter, and is without the name of the designer and has a "R" hallmark at the six o'clock position below the centre wreath on the reverse then its struck by the Prague firm of Edward Riemer.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Kevin, there are no hallmarks on the reverse, nor is 'Paul Dubois' on the front. It does have a French ribbon, but there is no indication on the rim that it was made in France. Any ideas?

Kevin, there are no hallmarks on the reverse, nor is 'Paul Dubois' on the front. It does have a French ribbon, but there is no indication on the rim that it was made in France. Any ideas?

Hello Nick,

If it is possible could you measure the diameter. While the French produced models are of the same appearance there is sometimes a difference in the diameter. A closer picture of the obverse near the bottom would be helpful in ascertaining the parentage of the medal.

Regards,

Rob

Hello Nick,

If it is possible could you measure the diameter. While the French produced models are of the same appearance there is sometimes a difference in the diameter. A closer picture of the obverse near the bottom would be helpful in ascertaining the parentage of the medal.

Regards,

Rob

36.62mm in diameter; 23.2gr. gross weight. I'll have to grab my daughter-in-law and have her take a closer picture of the back, but when I do, I'll post it.

• 7 months later...

36.62mm in diameter; 23.2gr. gross weight. I'll have to grab my daughter-in-law and have her take a closer picture of the back, but when I do, I'll post it.

Any further information?

If this example was French produced there may be a marking like BRONZE or a hallmark on the rim.

Regards,

Rob