News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 274
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

Oliver,

Never seen this abbreviation before but my guess would be Stevedore, that  is a Dock Worker or Labourer and may fit with the fact that your Man was employed on the Mesopotamia Railways.

Will see what else I can turn up.

Regards Simon

• 4 weeks later...

oliver860:  The photos are not of high enough resolution to determine which type you have. The characteristics that distinguish a Type 1 from a Type II British Victory Medal cannot be determined from the images you post.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking at Brit WWI campaign medals you might also want to look here for Medal Index Cards  http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1262

Ancestry's search engine is terrible but it's free so I shouldn't complain https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1262/30850_A001491-02262?pid=5440763&backurl=http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc%3DCmT81%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue%26indiv%3D1%26db%3DMedalRolls%26gss%3Dangs-d%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26msT%3D1%26gsfn%3Drobert%26gsfn_x%3D1%26gsln%3Dstockbridge%26gsln_x%3D1%26MSAV%3D1%26uidh%3Da9g%26pcat%3D39%26fh%3D0%26h%3D5440763%26recoff%3D9%2010%26ml_rpos%3D1&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=CmT81&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true

He probably received his medals in the early 20s however, most service records were destroyed in WWII and those that survived aren't always in good condition so the exact date he received the VM is unknown.

As Tony indicates, it is very difficult to determine when the BWM and VM were issued to British other ranks as the medal index cards and medal rolls for other ranks do not usually list the date of issue.  On the other hand the medal index cards and medal rolls for British officers each give the date of issue. If the date of issue shown is prior to 1 January 1921 then the VM is most likely a Type I or Type IR;  if the date of issue is on, or after, 1 January 1921 then the VM is almost always a Type II VM.  I have seen a few VMs to other ranks which include a receipt form or the medal in the paperwork accompanying the issue of the medal which include the date of issue on the form.

I think that I have mentioned this previously, but I have a number of blogs on the Orders and Medals Society of America website http://www.omsa.org/category/blog/british-post-1902/   that give extensive information on the various types of British Victory Medals, the naming on these medals and statistics on the numbers issued.

• 7 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...
    • 3 years later...
    • 7 months later...

Друзья!
    Приобрел медаль Победы и наткнулся на непонятную мне еще подпись!
    Подскажите как перевести подпись!
    Намюр мал с хукри абуш

Великобритания Тип 2 официальный медальон гурт 1.jpg

Великобритания Тип 2 официальный медальон гурт 2.jpg

Великобритания Тип 2 официальный медальон гурт 3.jpg