News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Morning Gordon,

The medal does display quite nicely as is, are you sure you want to change it?

Seems I have seen similar card backing on more than a few examples, was this common for the British medals?

Tim

• Replies 274
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Morning Gordon,

The medal does display quite nicely as is, are you sure you want to change it?

Seems I have seen similar card backing on more than a few examples, was this common for the British medals?

Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes, it does display quite nicely. Both it and the BWM were mounted together in the same way, glued onto on a single piece of this wafer thin bakelite type material. However in the post on the way to me it had been snapped, separating the two medals. As they'll have to be re-mounted anyway, I'll go for tracking down some original ribbon and mounting them on the correct metal medal mounts.

I have some more MFP / MMP pairs in the pipeline so will wait until they are all in before sourcing the ribbon and mounts just in case any others have been mounted like this. Hadn't come across it before.

• 2 months later...

I've been following up a reference I found while surfing to an article on the Type 1 British vic, and have just received the September 2009 issue of the Journal of the Orders and Medals Research Society, which has the article in it. The piece is by Dr Richard Flory and runs to 8 pages, giving a very detailed history of the background to the move from the Type 1 to the Type 2.

If anyone is interested in getting a copy, they can be bought from Peter Helmore, POBox 1233, High Wycombe, HP11 9BW, UK, for £5 including postage within the UK. I'm not a member of the OMRS.

Bill

Hello all.

A mini-group decoration of my collection.

This miniature belong to the British Army corporal

1815 CPL. A. MADLE, MIDD`X R

MBE

1914-15 Star

War Medal

Victory Medal

Defence Medal 1939-1945

%2524%2528KGrHqR%252C%2521kwE4p9410zsBOL

Lambert

Edited by lambert

Hello all.

A mini-group decoration of my collection.

This miniature belong to the British Army corporal

1815 CPL. A. MADLE, MIDD`X R

MBE

1914-15 Star

War Medal

Victory Medal

Defence Medal 1939-1945

Lambert

Hello Lambert,

That is a nice small group to a member of the MIDDLESEX Regiment.

Of interest is the ribbon of the MBE. It appears that the ribbon was originally the military style ribbon with a central white stripe. This appears to have been rubbed out to represent the civilian ribbon.

Do you have any background on this miniature group that may explain such a modification?

Regards,

Rob

Iris, Mrs. MACDERMOTT, Chairman, Lambeth

Stre

Hello Lambert,

That is a nice small group to a member of the MIDDLESEX Regiment.

Of interest is the ribbon of the MBE. It appears that the ribbon was originally the military style ribbon with a central white stripe. This appears to have been rubbed out to represent the civilian ribbon.

Do you have any background on this miniature group that may explain such a modification?

Regards,

Rob

Here is the answer to your enquiry

This is the details for the MBE

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 31 MAY, 1956

Alfred MADLE, Esq. For political and public

services in Middlesex.

I think this answers the question

Paul

Lambert wrote: 'I would like to Identify my man: L-26225 Gnr. J. Connell. RA.'

He is Gunner James Connell, RFA who went to France on 27 November 1915. The 'L' indicates a 'Locally-recruited gunner which means that he was in one of the RFA brigades between approximately 148 Brigade, RFA and 180 Brigade, RFA. Gunner 1

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 31 MAY, 1956

Alfred MADLE, Esq. For political and public

services in Middlesex.

I think this answers the question

Paul

Thanks for your help Paul Wood.

I could not answer your question Robw.

Indeed, the salesman warned me about this detail of the ribbon. This could be a mistake in the assembly of mini-group. The original group has the MBE with the right ribbon

Lambert .

Lambert wrote: 'I would like to Identify my man: L-26225 Gnr. J. Connell. RA.'

He is Gunner James Connell, RFA who went to France on 27 November 1915. The 'L' indicates a 'Locally-recruited gunner which means that he was in one of the RFA brigades between approximately 148 Brigade, RFA and 180 Brigade, RFA. Gunner 1

Thanks for your help Gunner

this is my medal

DSCF7828.jpg

L-26225 Gnr. J. Connell. R.A

:cheers:

lambert

• 1 month later...

Hi Lambert,

You have two nice, rather unusual miniature bars there. On the second, I think the Military Cross should be first rather than last on the mount. It's curious how, on the first set each medal is sewn on with thread matching the ribbon, while on the second Pip, Squeak and Wilfred are sewn on with black and the MC with white. The second set are on a Spinks mount - they would be expected to know the right order of wearing.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Bill,

Really don't know. What I might notice is that the mount does not seem to have been modified. (It'll never know.)

I believe that it is the original 20. The black lines are very fragile believe that is ok.

As the order of the medals this wrong the first medal must be MC, followed by the 1914 Star. etc..

Lambert

Yes ... interesting group. Both were officers, one in the 22nd French Canadian Battalion

Lambert Dumont Laviolette & Alexandre Laviolette :o

I would be very happy to find a group or even just a Medal with my name written. :lol:

Lambert

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I have a British VM with at 5 o'clock of the obverse the initials of the designer William McMillan. The initials does not have the stop between the W and the M.

I checked it under magnification and it looks like it never was there.

The Vic is in the name of a sailor in the Royal Navy. It is of a very crisp striking.

Anybody noticed the same before?

Herman

Edited by Herman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

no one can explain?

Oliver

Not into WW1 Victory Medals but here is my guess.....

CYP, Cyprus

FIJ, Fiji

WA, Western Australia

N, Natal

CI, Channel Islands

As I said just a guess......

Mike