News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KOREAN WAR BRACELET made for Nevzat Tanertan

Hi,

Here is the silver bracelet (tag) made in Germany, for Mr. Nevzat Tanertan who was in Korea, which I bought yesterday.

Obverse: Miniature Emaille Tropic Ligtning for serving under the USA 25th Infantry Division, Emaille Northern Star for the Turkish Brigade and Emaille Turkish Flag fixed on the silver bracelet and also left side of the Northern Star written numbers "949 149" ( I think his enrollment no) and right side of the Northern Star the word "Korea".

Reverse: Germany, silver, and the name Nevzat Tanertan

Cheers :whistle:

demir

PS: And I am wearing it now !off%20topic.gif

Nice.

I remember reading somewhere that an American general said the Turks were the best soldiers in Korea.

Here are the opinions of:

"The Turks are the hero of heroes. There is no impossibility for the Turkish Brigade." - General Douglas MacArthur - United Nations Forces Commander in Chief

"The heroic soldiers of a heroic nation, you have saved the Eighth Army and the IX'th Army Crops from encirclement and the 2nd Division from destruction. I came here today to thank you on behalf of the United Nations Army." - General Walton H. Walker, Commander, Eighth Army

"We owe the escape of thousands of United Nations troops out of a certain encirclement to the heroism of the Turkish soldiers. The Turkish soldiers in Korea have added a new and unforgettable page of honor to the customs and legends of heroism of the Turkish nation." - Emanuel Shinwell - U.K. Minister of Defense

"4500 soldiers in the middle of the firing line have known how to create miracle. The sacrifices of the Turks will eternally remain in our minds." - Washington Tribune

"The courageous battles of the Turkish Brigade have created a favorable effect on the whole United Nations Forces." - Time

"The surprise of the Korean battles were not the Chinese but the Turks. It is impossible at this moment to find a word to describe the heroism which the Turks have shown in the battles." - Abent Post

"The Turks have shown in Kunuri a heroism worthy of their glorious history. The Turks have gained the admiration of the whole world through their glorious fighting in the battles." - Figaro

"The Turks who have been known throughout history by their courage and decency, have proved that they have kept these characteristics, in the war which the United Nations undertook in Korea." - Burner - U.S. Congressman

"There is no one left who does not know that the Turks, our valuable allies, are hard warriors and that they have accomplished very great feats at the front." - Claude Pepper, U.S. Senator

"I now understand that the vote I gave in favor of assistance to Turkey was the most fitting vote I gave in my life. Courage, bravery and heroism are the greatest virtues which will sooner or later conquer. In this matter, I know no nation superior to the Turks." - Rose - U.S. Senator

"While the Turks were for a long time fighting against the enemy and dying, the British and Americans were withdrawing. The Turks, who were out of ammunition, affixed their bayonets and attacked the enemy and there ensued a terrible hand to hand combat. The Turks succeeded in withdrawing by continuous combat and by carrying their injured comrades on their backs. They paraded at Pyongyang with their heads held high." - G.G. Martin - British Lieutenant General

"The Turkish forces have shown success above that expected in the battles they gave in Korea." - General Collings - Commander US Army

"The military situation in Korea is being followed with concern by the whole American public. But in these concerned days, the heroism shown by the Turks has given hope to the American nation. It has inculeated them with courage. The American public fully appreciates the value of the services rendered by the Turkish Brigade and knows that because of them the Eighth American Army could withdraw without disarray. The American public understands that the United Nations Forces in Korea were saved from encirclement and from falling in to the hands of the communists by the heroism shown by the Turks."

demir

Demir

I was pleased to see the latest addition to your Korean War collection - a unique item that is to be highly prized. Thank you for showing it.

Thank you also for the list of comments about the Turkish soldiers in Korea. I will add it to my file on these men. The information adds appreciably to the significance of the Turkish UN Korea Medal in my collection.

Regards

Brett

Demir

I was pleased to see the latest addition to your Korean War collection - a unique item that is to be highly prized. Thank you for showing it.

Thank you also for the list of comments about the Turkish soldiers in Korea. I will add it to my file on these men. The information adds appreciably to the significance of the Turkish UN Korea Medal in my collection.

Regards

Brett

Thanks Brett,

I am triying to find out his term of service in Korea.

Best wishes

demir

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I found some info about him with the help of the War Veterans Assc.

He was born in Samsun/Turkey (Black Sea coast city) in 1930.

His fathers name is Hakki.

He had been to Korea with the second brigade assigned and came back in 1952.

He was a Staff Sergeant.

Regards

demir