News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

4th Queen's Own Dragoons

Hello all,

I'm trying to find information on the uniforms of the 4th Queen's Own Dragoons in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century. I'm trying to find out what the correct buttons look like, what the uniform pattern is for a subaltern. I'm looking into the earlier-style tail coats as opposed to whatever they transitioned to during the Napoleonic wars.

Thanks!

~TS

TS,

in 1768 the buttons are reported to be white metal not numbered. But in the following year they are stated as being of silver, presumably for officers, and numbered - see below. "The coatee buttons had the design of the Star of St. Patrick incised within the circle, above the shamrock was the number 'IV', the whole incised." I got this description from Military Shoulder Belt Plates and Buttons by Major H.G. Parkyn.

There is an excellent book on British uniforms of the Napoleonic period by C.E. Franklin.