News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

HELP WITH US NAVY BLUE WOOL SAILOR CAP

hi alls

today i received this gift from a friend to add my navy cap collection :jumping:

this is an US NAVY blue wool sailor cap and i would like to know what period was used because i think those blue sailor,s cap were used in ww2 and later...isn,t it?

mine has a carboard label under the sweatband written:manufactured for CLOTHING SUPPLY OFFICE....

NAME:BUTTLER RJ

SERVICE No:494-28-02

CONT.No.N 140(62236)57774 B

usnavy002.jpgusnavy001.jpg

usnavy006.jpg

thanks in advance :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Yes, the person who told you 1963 is correct. I went back and checked. First authorized in 1852 the flat hat was eliminated on 1 April 1963. The original hats has unit names on the front of the ribbon band (tally). The unit name was dropped in 1941 for security reasons and the generic U.S. Navy was substituted for the unit name. The flat hat was last issued to enlisted male recruits in boot camp up to early 1963. Cheers Captain Albert

Yes, the person who told you 1963 is correct. I went back and checked. First authorized in 1852 the flat hat was eliminated on 1 April 1963. The original hats has unit names on the front of the ribbon band (tally). The unit name was dropped in 1941 for security reasons and the generic U.S. Navy was substituted for the unit name. The flat hat was last issued to enlisted male recruits in boot camp up to early 1963. Cheers Captain Albert

And the blue cover for officers caps was discontinued in the mid-'50's.

Hugh

I have a 1949 date, with probably a wear out period. Here is a couple of WW1 Caps. The sailor's fat (Pancake) cap has a California Naval Militia Insignia on front. Cheers Captain Albert

And the blue cover for officers caps was discontinued in the mid-'50's.

Hugh

Edited by army historian

hi alls

today i received this gift from a friend to add my navy cap collection :jumping:

this is an US NAVY blue wool sailor cap and i would like to know what period was used because i think those blue sailor,s cap were used in ww2 and later...isn,t it?

mine has a carboard label under the sweatband written:manufactured for CLOTHING SUPPLY OFFICE....

NAME:BUTTLER RJ

SERVICE No:494-28-02

CONT.No.N 140(62236)57774 B

usnavy002.jpgusnavy001.jpg

usnavy006.jpg

thanks in advance :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

They stopped issuing them in April 1963. The ship or station decided what the uniformof the day. The norm was the Dixie cup (sailorslang) or the white hat. After 1958 theflat hat (your hat) was stopped being worn officially. The Navy issued you the flat hat as part ofyour sea bag (kit) until supplies ran out. The tally or the flat hat ribbon, had the ship or stations name on ituntil 1941's, then they issued you the U.S. Navy tally, because of thewar. Although, the "U.S. NAVY" tally wasbeing worn prior to WWI most people think it was used only used during WWIIperiod. This hat was known in the late 1890'sas the pancake hat. (sailor slang). I posted a sailor from around the 1918's.

Regards, Jim

Edited by johnnymac

I have a 1949 date, with probably a wear out period. Here is a couple of WW1 Caps. The sailor's fat (Pancake) cap has a California Naval Militia Insignia on front. Cheers Captain Albert

Re: Officer's blue cover. I entered the Naval Academy in 1957 and was not issued one. The class entering in 1955 were issued them. I never saw one worn in those years. It's too bad they were discontinued. They're not quite as flashy as the white cover, but eminently more practical.

Best,

Hugh

Re: Officer's blue cover. I entered the Naval Academy in 1957 and was not issued one. The class entering in 1955 were issued them. I never saw one worn in those years. It's too bad they were discontinued. They're not quite as flashy as the white cover, but eminently more practical.

Best,

Hugh

I still do have my flat hat which I was issued in Nov. 1962 - 1966 Navy, 1966 -1968 Res. Navy, and its mint cond. as I never got to wear it.

Regards, Jim

Edited by johnnymac

They stopped issuing them in April 1963. The ship or station decided what the uniformof the day. The norm was the Dixie cup (sailorslang) or the white hat. After 1958 theflat hat (your hat) was stopped being worn officially. The Navy issued you the flat hat as part ofyour sea bag (kit) until supplies ran out. The tally or the flat hat ribbon, had the ship or stations name on ituntil 1941's, then they issued you the U.S. Navy tally, because of thewar. Although, the "U.S. NAVY" tally wasbeing worn prior to WWI most people think it was used only used during WWIIperiod. This hat was known in the late 1890'sas the pancake hat. (sailor slang). I posted a sailor from around the 1918's.

Regards, Jim

my cap label is exactly how you show as korea war example and so do you mean my hat for sure with this label is from korea war period or this label may be was used later korea war?:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

my cap label is exactly how you show as korea war example and so do you mean my hat for sure with this label is from korea war period or this label may be was used later korea war?:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Hi I hope this helps, Jim

Hi I hope this helps, Jim

in my hat where number of contract is written:CONT.No.N 140(62236)57774 B

and there i can not see none 52 but the label is the same than you show as korean war period,do you think is possible not to shown at any example as mine the year of contract?:P

in my hat where number of contract is written:CONT.No.N 140(62236)57774 B

and there i can not see none 52 but the label is the same than you show as korean war period,do you think is possible not to shown at any example as mine the year of contract?:P

1921 - Schuylkill Arsenal renamedPhiladelphia Quartermaster Depot

1948 - Defense Agency Center

1962 - Defense Industrial Supply Center evolves

1965 - Defense Personnel Support Center established

1998 - Defense Personnel Support Center renamed Defense Supply CenterPhiladelphia

1999 - Defense Industrial Supply Center and Defense Supply CenterPhiladelphia merge

2010 - Defense Supply Center Philadelphia renamed DLA Troop Support

Luck with your hat

1921 - Schuylkill Arsenal renamedPhiladelphia Quartermaster Depot

1948 - Defense Agency Center

1962 - Defense Industrial Supply Center evolves

1965 - Defense Personnel Support Center established

1998 - Defense Personnel Support Center renamed Defense Supply CenterPhiladelphia

1999 - Defense Industrial Supply Center and Defense Supply CenterPhiladelphia merge

2010 - Defense Supply Center Philadelphia renamed DLA Troop Support

Luck with your hat

congratulations johnnymac....:jumping: :jumping:

you did a great job with my hat...label is exactly as the example than you posted in the middle this time and so my hat is late 40,s!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer: :beer: :beer:

many thanks from spain

Edited by SICHERHEITSDIENTS

Love this topic :beer:

In my collection I have this studio portrait (The Page Studio, East Boston, Mass.), dated December 1917, of a Machinist Mate wearing the cap tally NAVAL AIR STATION.

Were the cap tallies always closed with a bow tie over the left ear?

Love this topic :beer:

In my collection I have this studio portrait (The Page Studio, East Boston, Mass.), dated December 1917, of a Machinist Mate wearing the cap tally NAVAL AIR STATION.

Were the cap tallies always closed with a bow tie over the left ear?

Yes and that dates back to the 1860's (some of the bow end were longer up to the 1930's)

Thanx Johnnymac.

If my eye doesn't trick me, I see that the bow of the California Naval Militia is behind the head, why would that be?

Edited by Odulf

Hello Johnnymac, what can you tell me about this cap in my collection. Thanks Captain Albert

Hi Captain Albert, A lot of people think that the 1933 is the date when fact it is the TAP contractors no.

Regards

Edited by johnnymac