News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I'd like to share with you this set of original pencil drawings executed by an unknown British soldier who had some skills at sketching his comrades. As you can see uniform details were his strong point unlike faces :rolleyes: These drawings were made in Palestine in 1917, artist's initials are probably "J.E.J."

Drawing No.1.

A very nice set - and particularly attractive as they have been 'Done in the Field'. You are right when you say his details are excellent - but, his faces not so good. However, the test of a personal drawing is - would you recognise the person if you were to meet. I would say Yes !

There are strong characters and personalties shown here - and these features shine through.

I must say that my favourites are the Royal Flying Corps officer - and, the Padre. Thankyou for taking the time to post them. Mervyn

As a military officer and an artist, I appreciate you posting these on here. I've done a number of different caricatures for my friends over the years, and can just imagine this officer doing sketches of all his mates to pass the time.

Here's a few of mine:

This one is of Major General Smedley Butler, USMC. Awarded the Medal of Honor on two separate occasions for acts of valor in Vera Cruz, Mexico and Haiti.