News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kingdom of Afghanistan

drclaw

My very first Kingdom of Afghanistan Order which I've identified as an Order of the Star (Nishan-e Ustur), Fourth Type (1931-60 - state arms within a grain wreath), Third Class, silver with gold centre.

The Arabic symbol for the number 3 is visible at 11 o'clock on the centre.

She has cleaned up well with a little soap / water and toothbrush, and a silver polishing cloth.

What surprised me first was the sheer beauty and elegance of the design.

And second, the sheer weight! At well over 80 grams, that's over 2.5 ounces of solid gold and silver!

Thank you to Paul Wood, Hugh, 922F and others for helping out a newbie. Definitely smitten by these!

My very first Kingdom of Afghanistan Order which I've identified as an Order of the Star (Nishan-e Ustur), Fourth Type (1931-60 - state arms within a grain wreath), Third Class, silver with gold centre.

The Arabic symbol for the number 3 is visible at 11 o'clock on the centre.

She has cleaned up well with a little soap / water and toothbrush, and a silver polishing cloth.

What surprised me first was the sheer beauty and elegance of the design.

And second, the sheer weight! At well over 80 grams, that's over 2.5 ounces of solid gold and silver!

Thank you to Paul Wood, Hugh, 922F and others for helping out a newbie. Definitely smitten by these!

Very handsome! May we see the back, please?

Hi Hugh, here are pics of the reverse. I understand that the markings denote the weight of the gold and silver. The screw piece is a replacement.

Also arrived today, an Order of Independence (Istiqlal), Type III - 1926-29 (state arms on star), 2nd Class, in silver and (I believe) gilded bronze.

It needed some elbow grease to restore it to the condition below. My thumb still feels numb from all the polishing!

Stunning medals Gavin! You have excellent taste! You are like a kid in a candy store picking out the tastiest pieces. Can't wait to see your next choices.

Markus cheers.gif

Great to see a self-described newbie starting out at this level.

Hugh

Hahaha! My bank manager thinks so too.

My 40 year mortgage is now a 45 year mortgage. :lol:

What the hell, it's only a house and you'll never live long enough to pay it off anyhow.